Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

babysitter childminder help!

(13 Posts)
PooPooOnMars Wed 19-Sep-12 19:26:03

Can anyone tell me when it is or isn't legal to pay someone else to look after your child?

Will be working a temp contract and a friend might care for my child for me in exchange for money just as you would a babysitter. Would that be legal? And if not why not. Would be a few hours a day for 10 days or so, in their own home or out and about.

Thank you!

NickNacks Wed 19-Sep-12 19:28:20

In the carer's home it's illegal. In the child's home it's perfectly fine.

foolingwithmisskitty Wed 19-Sep-12 19:32:51

It isn't legal to pay someone to look after your child in their home unless they are a registered childminder. Unless it is 2 hours a day for a maximum of 14 days per year so you may just get around it. smile

wishiwasonholiday Wed 19-Sep-12 19:33:58

A babysitter usually has them at your house not theirs, more than 2 hours a day would be what people need to be registered for. Why not just do it from your house if it's only for ten days?

PooPooOnMars Wed 19-Sep-12 20:06:03

So can i have a babysitter at my house everyday? Is there a time restriction on that?

And i can pay her to have my child at her house as long as its not over 2 hours? Is there a website with this info?

wishiwasonholiday Wed 19-Sep-12 21:04:51

Look on the ofsted website and yes at your house it would be fine like having a nanny, and yes they could have your fc at their house as long as its under 2 hours a day.

PooPooOnMars Wed 19-Sep-12 21:47:25

Thank you very much!

longjane Wed 19-Sep-12 21:54:15

it is only under eight the rule about the 2 hour applies over eight don't count

PooPooOnMars Wed 19-Sep-12 22:00:45

Oh really? I wonder why that is.

foolingwithmisskitty Sat 22-Sep-12 09:27:39

it's the same with ratios under 8. CM can have as many kids over 8 as they like. i think it is because they are more self-sufficient so they see it as less regulation of the care needed.

MrAnchovy Sat 22-Sep-12 14:07:12

There is an exemption from the requirement for registration if you pay her other than in cash or equivalent.

She should declare the income to HMRC as it is taxable, and if she gets any means-tested benefits, or benefits based on her incapacity to work she should notify DWP.

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Sun 23-Sep-12 08:49:59

Op, the over 8 rule can vary depending on which part of the uk you are in, I'm in Scotland and that rule does not exhist and everyone needs to be a registered regardless of the child's age

MrAnchovy Sun 23-Sep-12 10:55:46

Yes, should have said that all of this applies to England and Wales only (and there are some differences in Wales but not to the key things like ages, hours and ratios).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: