Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Aupairs from Kenya

(10 Posts)
Newtothisstuff Sat 15-Sep-12 07:19:10

Hey
In speaking with an aupair from Kenya, just wondered if anyone had any experience with Kenyan aupairs ??

bran Sat 15-Sep-12 12:59:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoldeInvierno Sat 15-Sep-12 13:07:31

I tried once to get a visa for a S. American aupair and it was impossible. Are the rules different for Kenyans?

Newtothisstuff Sat 15-Sep-12 14:24:04

I didn't specifically want a Kenyan it's just an application I've had and she seems really nice a bit too nice if I'm honest.. She seems to think her visa will be easy enough to get tho.. I'll probably carry on looking and stick to the EU !!

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Sep-12 14:28:57

Perhaps she knows she can get a visa and has looked into it already. She might have any number of passports/ nationalities. My dh has three passports. And a green card. I wouldn't rule her out on visa grounds unless you know she couldn't get one.

StillSquiffy Sat 15-Sep-12 14:49:08

If she hasn't got an EU passport, and hasn't got a useful qual such as nursing, she almost certainly won't get a visa.

Unless it's a tourist one, where she will not be allowed to work, or a student one where she will have to prove she is properly enrolled on a full time college course of some kind.

I have taught myself to bin non EU applications as soon as I have established that they do not have a visa/EU passport, otherwise you get depressed when you find someone really good and then can't get them in.

Rasher38 Sat 15-Sep-12 15:02:26

Personally I tend to avoid au pairs who need visas - I learnt the hard way when I took a Romanian girl who shall we say fudged the conditions on which she could take work as an au pair in the UK. I also fell foul of some nifty changes on the UK Boarder Agency website (one minute it was ok the next they needed much more formalised arrangements). From my experience au pairs who have to have visas also need to be tied in to your home address which means if things arent working out on either side its not so easy to get out of the arrangement. My Romanian au pair came for 6 months I would have been more than happy to wave good bye at that point as the kids didnt like her and she thought she was some sort of victorian governess and any housework should be done by the staff below stairs. Anyway, I finally had to force her out after a further 6 months of baloney about her sorting her paperwork out.

Newtothisstuff Sat 15-Sep-12 18:01:20

Thanks for the advice guys !! This is getting so frustrating I hate all this haha

marcopront Wed 19-Sep-12 05:58:42

Unless the rules have changed a Kenyan can not get a visa to work as an aupair and in general things have become harder not easier. My DD's father is Kenyan and when we moved from Kenya to the UK we originally planned to take someone with us to work as an aupair and when I looked into it the visa would be a problem.

cheesecakemom Sat 22-Sep-12 13:42:21

You can't employ anyone from outside the EU as an au pair (there is an exception though - if they are from a list of 5 countries which you can see from the immigration website or if they worked for you outside the country for at least 1 year.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now