Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What goes down well whilst childminding? Share your ideas please

(15 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 14-Sep-12 12:26:04

Before I begin.

My youngest son came home with a book called robot childminder. This book got my attention. A robot who cooked (but burnt the food). I could not help but think it would be nice to have a robot to do my paperwork grin

Here is a list of things that are popular: (got kids of varying ages)

playdough and cutters
moon sand (various colours)
lego (small ones)
visits to the local recreational ground
wrestlers and ring
Drawing (got some how to draw books)
Something special (tv)
Rainbow Toy Library (stay and play)
Story time (reading to the little ones) we love touch and feely books, well I do!!
Exploring with the little ones (got some magnifying glasses) looking for spiders etc

Why do share your wonderful ideas smile Thank you

BlueChampagne Fri 14-Sep-12 12:47:43

Not a CM but here are some additions based on what my 2 enjoy when at CM's

Teddy hospital/vets/pet shop
Dressing up & role play
Drawing (esp with fancy gel glitter pens)
vehicles and garage

MUM2BLESS Fri 14-Sep-12 14:10:27

BlueChampagne, thank you so much.

Parents who use cm's what does your child enjoy whilst there?

Nannies and all who deal with kids what goes down well?

Yesterday I got some ideas from the kids of things they would like me to provide. A tent was mentioned.

Keep them rolling in grin

ZuleikaD Fri 14-Sep-12 20:17:07

Building stuff - especially in the garden. I've got some small logs, big wooden blocks (from a sawn-up 4x4 post), some wooden planks and platform-type things, canes and lots of string, as well as old sheets. Building dens and tents is popular, as is racecar tracks and assault courses (a plank on a couple of blocks 4 inches off the ground is a toddler balance beam!)

MUM2BLESS Fri 14-Sep-12 21:05:44

ZuleikaD love the building ideas. What age group are your cm kids?

LCarbury Fri 14-Sep-12 21:18:25

We use nursery and a nanny but in summary the DC (DS 6yo and DD 3yo) like doing the same things with them as they would like to do with us or their GP etc. They like lots of things!

Playing in the garden, even though it's not very big, they like drawing with chalk on the patio, watering everything in sight, picking fruit, picnics on the grass, playing in the sandpit. They even like weeding the patio!

Cooking, particularly mixing eggs and icing cakes and biscuits, and cutting up pastry.

Using stickers and tissue and bits and pieces to make pictures, we got a roll of cartoon character wrapping paper and have spent hours cutting out of that and sticking it in various ways.

Listening to story CDs.

DD likes playing with dolls, putting them to bed, dressing them up, putting them in the doll buggy.

DS can spend hours on lego but I see you have that already! He also really like magnets at school, I don't know what these are called but they are like small clicky magnets.

DS also likes dominos, and games like noughts and crosses and Guess Who.

Both DC really like playing with Hotwheels cars and tracks.

They also like their toy dinosaurs and Dinosaur Island wooden place set, it's like a toy castle but dinosaurs.

MUM2BLESS Fri 14-Sep-12 21:57:19

LCarbury thanks for your awesome comments.

I like the ideas of magnets,

lisa1968 Sat 15-Sep-12 19:02:04

Sand and water play!
Water painting outside-pots of water and paintbrushes and they can paint to their hearts content!
Playdough
Any kind of messy play!

MUM2BLESS Sat 15-Sep-12 21:55:34

THANK YOU

lisalisa Sat 15-Sep-12 21:58:12

My dd aged nearly 2 has just started at a wonderful childminder and enjoys the sand pit the most. Our CM has hidden shells in there too . Also the water table. She has the most wonderful collceton of different toys amassed over 15 yrs - so lovely taht I half want to sit down and play too! She also bakes with the toddlers and dd came home babbling about the cake. She can't say the CM's name yet but calls her " sand" which I guess just about sums up what she loves best about going!

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Sep-12 12:49:37

You can't go wrong with cardboard boxes! Especially if they're big enough for the kids to get inside, and similar sizes so they can stack them into fire engines/castles etc. A toy steering wheel is a useful addition. With older ones, you could work together to turn some into fire engine, police car etc.

Magnifying glasses and torches also seem to be popular.

Favourite games: Flounders, Shopping List, Doodle Bugs, Incy Wincy Spider.

Christmas cards for friends and family: cut out Christmassy shapes from old wrapping paper - stars, holly leaves, angels - depending on your artistic ability, and stick them on card, with added glitter for the bigger ones.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 18-Sep-12 22:12:02

Mine love:
Play dough.
Sand.
Play house.
Thomas Take and Play set.
Duplo.
Colouring sheets.
Chalk on concrete.
Bucket of water - fill their watering cans up and water my garden.
Washing up bowls on patio with water in and toys/ bubbles and tea set for pretend washing up.
small world dino garden outside.
Pebble patch for diggers (stealing this from DS's FS1 class)
A box of assorted figures - ranging from power rangers to Happy meal toys. smile

gallifrey Wed 19-Sep-12 14:32:53

The little girl I looked after last week really loved decorating (and eating) gingerbread men.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 19-Sep-12 19:26:52

What I find difficult is to suggest an activity that suits lots of ages.

I looked after a 7 year old a couple of Saturdays ago. It was just her here and we spent three whole hours playing with Hama beads. She made the most wonderful creations grin but I couldn't get them out to play with on a normal day because I have smaller children who might well stick them up their noses or (as happened in the holidays) the boxes filled with the Hama beads get knocked over (twice if you're a certain almost 4 yr old mindee grin).

Yesterday, I discovered that 10yr old ds and 10yr old mindee love playdough ... I won't tell you what they were making out of it (they're 10 yr old boyshmmgrin) but it kept them both well entertained for 45 minutes which was great because I had a very sad younger mindee who just wanted to sit quietly with me in another room.

I have a Playmobil Dolls house which is played with by mindees from 18 months to 12 years...girls and boys. The younger boys tend to drive cars up and down the stair cases but they all play with it loads. I do have to hide the smaller pieces from the baby but she has a fab time playing with the people and animals.

Basic building bricks are loved by all my lot aswell but it's better if there are only a couple of mindees here as there aren't really enough for everyone to make a big enough tower if there are more mindees.

There is one afternoon a week where I have lots of afterschool children (two of them are quite wild lively) so I have to think of activities to keep them occupied in the kitchen while I get their tea ready. One big hit was making models/shapes out of marshmallows and cocktail sticks. It was brilliant and they made some great things.

MUM2BLESS Fri 21-Sep-12 19:43:44

Some great ideas Everyone. Thank you so much!!!

Any interesting board games to suggest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now