Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Letter of consent?

(9 Posts)
Dordeydoo Thu 13-Sep-12 19:10:48

Am a nanny and had to take child to docs for emergency appointment today. Doc told me that I need a signed letter from parents for them to be able to treat in future?

Do I need this??

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Thu 13-Sep-12 19:27:59

I believe so yes.
I had a bad bout of d&v when my dd was small and due her jabs. My Mum took her for me and I had a call from the nurse to ask if my Mum had permission to take my daughter on my behalf.

NatashaBee Thu 13-Sep-12 19:31:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Thu 13-Sep-12 19:35:03

I've never been asked for one by a doctor. Maybe it depends on the treatment, anything invasive I expect would need confirmation of parental consent - which could be done verbally.

Dordeydoo Thu 13-Sep-12 20:02:07

I'll get one written up and store in nanny folder for when it's needed.

eeyore12 Thu 13-Sep-12 20:34:13

I have one in case they need emergency treatment and we can't reach parent and you need one for injections or at least one for the first lot and make sure it goes on the system that you can take them. Have never needed one for a dr appointment though and I always make sure they know I am nanny, and they usually put something on the notes for that appointment like spoke to nanny/ nanny bought child in with ........ Always good to have a letter just in case.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 13-Sep-12 20:36:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharlieCoCo Sun 23-Sep-12 15:19:51

I always have one since i had one job where charge needed MRI and nurse had to call parents for consent. (as apparently i could have decided to give him it behind the parents back) COuldnt reach mb who wanted it so had to call DB who didnt know anything about it but says CharlieCoCo has permission for the reason she is there. He came home with a permission note to take the kids to the dr. The next time i was there, they photo copied it and i didnt need the actual letter again.
With last job i asked for the letter when i first started and kept it in red book, but when the kids needed injections for going to another country (and my mb had requested the ones she wanted them to have). the nurse didnt recommend one for the baby and i said mb wants this done and she had to call mb for permission still.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Sun 23-Sep-12 17:52:18

The only time I've ever been asked was for vaccinations. I didn't have one so they had to ring one of the parents to check.

I've taken them to other doctors appointments and not been asked for anything, but that's just a been a check up, diagnosis, prescription, not any actual treatment.

The only emergency I've ever had involved being taken to hospital in an ambulance so they obviously didn't stop and demand a letter/phone call before treating the child (just as well because neither of the parents could be reached for 4 hours!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now