Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much did it cost to add business use to you insurance policy??

(12 Posts)
Nannyto2 Thu 26-Jul-12 21:54:41

Rang my insurers recently and was quoted £68.75 to add business usage to my policy.

Is this average?? What has everyone else paid??

Timandra Fri 27-Jul-12 00:24:13

I don't think I had to pay anything and I have renewed with the same company every year since so, as far as I'm aware, it's cost me nothing.

It is occasional business use though. Does that make a difference?

BackforGood Fri 27-Jul-12 00:46:07

One car it was about £1.80 and the other it was no extra charge.

Nannyto2 Fri 27-Jul-12 08:26:23

It seemed like a lot, going to ring again and see what they say this time

Runoutofideas Fri 27-Jul-12 08:39:58

£2.50 - I was surprised as I was expecting more. I changed car at the same time and it was £50 to change from my Ford Focus to my S-Max, then I added business use on and it was £2.50.... I only work part-time though which they said made a difference. You may find your £68 includes an admin charge to make a change though - this was already included in my £50 for changing the car.

nannynick Fri 27-Jul-12 11:02:51

When your insurance is next due for renewal, get a quote from MortonMichel. They will get a clause added to policy especially designed to cover you for transporting children who you are paid to transport. I found the quote to be competitive and may give added peace if mind.
As a nanny you are not running a business, so businesd use may not be sufficient. MM reclass the insurance as Minibus.
As with all insurance you don't know how good it is until you make a claim. Any nannies ever made a At Fault claim on their policy?

Dahlen Fri 27-Jul-12 11:04:29

Many companies will add the business class for free but charge you an administration fee for amendments to the police, normally about £20-£25. If they try to charge you for having business class, personally I'd leave and go elsewhere. £68.25 is taking the piss!

Nannyto2 Fri 27-Jul-12 11:15:25

I am going to look at other insurers to see what they quote. The guy at my insurers told me that as a nanny I had to have the first class business use!!! With that added cost of business use my total insurance price will be apprpx £1,230

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 27-Jul-12 18:20:28

nothing - i normally have a work car but for any ad hoc/temp work i obv need it on , just in case

plus generally employers would pay the difference between the two quotes

ginmakesitallok Fri 27-Jul-12 18:21:44

not a cm or nanny- but nothing to add business use to my insurance (realise it might be different if I was ferrying kids about)

Biddy54 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:57:33

My son is an additional driver under my husband's insurance and I have rang the insurance company to change the insurance to Class 1 Business as my son has applied to be a carer, on Saturday I was quoted £460 and today they quoted me £311 as my son's firm told him to get on to them again as this should be free or quite cheap. Anyone any advice?

Biddy54 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:59:10

My son is an additional driver under my husband's insurance and I have rang the insurance company to change the insurance to Class 1 Business as my son has applied to be a carer, on Saturday I was quoted £460 and today they quoted me £311 as my son's firm told him to get on to them again as this should be free or quite cheap. Anyone any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now