Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Under 5 number query

(7 Posts)
Titchyboomboom Sat 21-Jul-12 23:54:16

I meet up with another childminder reguarly at the local park and something occurred to me the other day... she had 4 under 5's with her... a 1 yr old, 2 year old and 2 4 year olds... is this legal?

I am registered for no more than 2 in Early Years 0-5.


wishiwasonholiday Sun 22-Jul-12 04:25:00

She could have a variation to have 4, I'm registered for 2 under 5 plus have my own ds but sometimes get variations if any need an extra day or if a parent is delayed etc.

minderjinx Sun 22-Jul-12 06:41:07

Or one or both of the four year olds could be counted as an over 5 if they have started school full time (but maybe had a day out for an Inset day or whatever)

Runoutofideas Sun 22-Jul-12 08:19:51

I am registered for 3 under 5's and I think that is quite standard. As minderjinx says, if one of the 4 yr olds is in full time school then they count in the older age group. My own dd is still 4 but has finished reception (August birthday) and I am still allowed 3 other little ones. Also she could have a variation for one, especially if the one yr old is a younger sibling of one of the older ones.

fudgesmummy Sun 22-Jul-12 08:24:44

yep totally ok if she has a variation in place-I have 4 under school age every day-variations in place to cover continuity of care and siblings. From September, under the revived EYFS we can grant our own variation requests which should be interesting.........!!!!

HSMM Sun 22-Jul-12 09:04:45

I have a variation for 4 u dear 5s. If you know her postcode, you could probably find her registration details on the Ofsted website.

2plus1 Sun 22-Jul-12 15:03:03

My three went to a CM part-time and as I had three children aged 1 yrs the CM took one of them and then got granted continuity of care to take the other two siblings. She already had a 2 yr old for the afternoon so effectively she had four children aged under 3 yrs! For me having multiples, it is often the only way I can get a CM to look after mine if they have a variation from Ofsted. Definitely can be done although it takes a very hard-working CM to do this IMO!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now