Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Lovely CM Club, two things:has anyone done First Aid through Tigerlily Training, and did you all know about not needing variations anymore?

(23 Posts)
RealityIsNOTWarren Wed 30-May-12 10:21:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RealityIsNOTWarren Wed 30-May-12 17:37:51

mogs0 Wed 30-May-12 18:37:24

I'm not sure about the first aid course, sorry.

Re the ratios, I've recently applied for a variation and had to send in a revised Statement of purpose' (I'm in wales and can't remember having to do one when I CMed in England) removing the part about only having 3 under 5 and only 2 under 18 months.

looneytune Wed 30-May-12 22:39:10

The new guidance states this about variations but only states what you said in your OP as being for siblings. I'm a little unsure what that means for those of us who have different children on different days and then get a parent wanting an extra day. This would be for 'continuity of care' but not 'siblings' and this isn't detailed in the revised EYFS. Our training gave the impression that in these circumstances you'd still apply for a variation but I'm not so sure.

nannynick Wed 30-May-12 22:56:15

With regard to the First Aid, I don't know about their specific course as I have not done it.

However the "Guide to Registration on the Childcare Register" says in regard to a first aid course that All training should be approved by a local authority.
I would suspect that Tigerlilly has each course approved by the relevant local authority and that 6 hours (of which I guess a lot is practical) plus 6 hours theory is acceptable, as Ofsted does not define how long the practical should be but instead says "First aid courses should offer the opportunity to practice practical techniques – for example resuscitation – until individuals feel comfortable performing all of the techniques independently."
One thing to realise is that you don't get a certificate on completion of the practical. You have to do the practical, then within 4 weeks you have to complete the on-line learning and it is once that has been completed that you get a certificate. So if your current First Aid is getting near it's 3 year expiry, you need to plan enough time to complete the practical plus e-learning before the expiry of your current certificate.

Probably best to call your local Tigerlilly Training office and ask them about it - ask specifically about the local authority approval for the practical and e-learning elements of the course. Are both elements approved by the local authority of the venue being used for the practical? If not, which local authority is approving the e-learning element? Keep a note of what they say, should Ofsted decides to query it in the future.

RealityIsNOTWarren Thu 31-May-12 06:49:02

HSMM Thu 31-May-12 07:38:34

Agree with looney. It's very unclear what we do if the children aren't siblings or our own baby ...

looneytune Fri 01-Jun-12 10:05:18

RealityIsNOTWarren - How can your nieces be down as YOUR children? Just wondered if you've heard something I haven't as as far as I know, only children who live with you are on the certificate as your own children (i.e. that number is deducted from the total allowed leaving you will how many you're allowed to 'mind').

RealityIsNOTWarren Fri 01-Jun-12 10:25:56

looneytune Fri 01-Jun-12 10:52:11

Right, not sure how long you've been minding and apologies if it's been a long time but just in case not, I hate to say this but you can't trust what is said on the phone by Ofsted. So many people on here have been told different things so I always now send an email so whatever their response is will be in writing. I know they've told you that on the phone but if they've got that wrong, it will be you who won't be insured and could get into trouble as they will want evidence that you were told this wrong information. So if I were you I'd just send a quick email saying that you'd like confirmation in writing that your nieces count as your own children as I honesty think someone has messed up there! At least if they say the same you've got it in writing (and if that's the case, let us know on here as it must mean something has changed).

Good luck smile

looneytune Fri 01-Jun-12 11:04:22

HSMM - I've just emailed Ofsted asking about the 'continuity of care' for those families needing extra days. Will let you know what they come back with.

RealityIsNOTWarren Fri 01-Jun-12 11:07:30

RealityIsNOTWarren Fri 01-Jun-12 11:13:15

looneytune Fri 01-Jun-12 11:17:31

Sorry Reality, I thought you meant they counted as YOUR children i.e. they accounted for them when doing your certificate! If it doesn't make an overall difference to numbers then it doesn't matter (although I still don't understand the niece thing! LOL).

And what you posted just now, that's what I've emailed Ofsted querying as it doesn't mention the other continuity of care option many of us have had variations for. Will let you know what they say.

RealityIsNOTWarren Fri 01-Jun-12 11:21:42

Flisspaps Fri 01-Jun-12 11:23:25

So does the line "when caring for their own baby" suggest that if I could prove I could do it, I could take on another under 1 without applying for a variation (have had one before for 2 under 1 anyway, as a newly regged CM for my first mindee)

looneytune Fri 01-Jun-12 11:41:46

'interpret the guidance as best we can' is ok to a point but then we would no way be able to give continuity of care to an existing child needing an extra day because of their wording 'then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby'. If they'd have put 'then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are providing continuity of care' then we could interpret the guidance as being any exisiting children or a childminder's own baby (as you'd have to have that one of course!)

If they email me back saying about interpretting the guidance then I think we may fall out! (me and Ofsted that is! LOL)

HSMM Fri 01-Jun-12 12:22:42

Looking forward to seeing your reply from Ofsted Looney. I will be emailing them too.

eurycantha Sat 02-Jun-12 08:51:54

Hi. I am a nanny. I did the Tigerlilly Saturday course in October,I did not have to do an online part just the Saturday .I did check with Ofsted first who told me that it was fine and the certificate has :This certificate meets the requirements of OFSTED for registration on the voluntary register..

Italiana Tue 05-Jun-12 11:23:37

It is true that c/ms can decide on variations themselves (we can only look after 6 children under 5 anyway) but this is only from Sept 2012 when the revised EYFS kicks in and Ofsted have published all the new guidelines about inspections and regulation (these should be out end of June)...until then it is best to check with them.
Ofsted have published the result of their consultation and the above matter is in there but we need to wait until the 'new guidelines' come out..hope this helps?

looneytune Wed 06-Jun-12 16:50:39

My response from Ofsted

Lucyjackson Fri 10-Jul-15 16:54:03

Nannynick- I’ve done a little research regarding this matter and local authorities such as Surrey/Hampshire do not approve training.
I think it is best to research before joining a course and attend training with companies that are established and have been around for a while.
Local ones I’ve found such as Red Cross, St Johns, Surrey First Aid Training, I did a course with Tigerlily however I’ve found out it is a member of a trade body, does anyone know what trade body means??

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 10-Jul-15 21:01:39

This thread is 3yrs old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now