Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Accident & Incident Reports

(17 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 10-Nov-11 17:00:32

When I first started I used the NCMA Accident & Incident Reports, but they were expensive so I started using a duplicating receipt book with numbered pages

OFSTED came & visited and said that this wasn't very professional & could we improve please (we are meeting the requirements)

So we designed a table which we can print out and use with carbon paper

But the receipt book was numbered so it would be obvious if we ripped one out or destroyed one, but with this table we wouldn't

Is that important?

stomp Thu 10-Nov-11 17:26:18

A numbered book is not really important-do Ofsted flick through a numbered accident book to check…no hmm The only time I can see it would be an issue is during an investigation and then not that important-the parent would have a copy surely confused
I do my own forms and the completed ones are stored in the childs confidential folder. And I keep a spare form ready in each childs LJ together with a spare medication form & existing injuries form, for me it is better than trying to find a existing injuries form first thing in the morning when they appear on the doorstep with a bruise on their face grin…. I can go straight to the childs LJ and pick out the right form.
With forms in childrens folders and forms in childrens LJ and forms in my document bank….numbers become irrelevant.

Flisspaps Thu 10-Nov-11 17:40:15

I despair of Ofsted sometimes - you do realise that another inspector would probably have said 'what a great idea' to your receipt book?

How on earth is that any less professional than printing something off and then using carbon paper with it?

I've not noticed numbers on the NCMA book - if they're not numbered I wouldn't worry.

cate16 Thu 10-Nov-11 17:57:02

Totally agree with flisspaps.
On our last inspection (Sept), she asked if we had an accident book, I went to show her a sheet from a file and she just replied 'oh that's fine, I don't need to see it' Could have had last weeks TV listing in the folder for all she knew..... and we got a really good report.

HSMM Thu 10-Nov-11 18:20:31

I think your duplicating receipt book was a great idea grin

ThePrisoner Thu 10-Nov-11 19:48:25

I started using a numbered duplicate book as the inspector was unhappy with my previous system (which was my own printed sheets and non-numbered). A parent I minded for gave me a really super accident book (she worked for a health and safety company), and Ofsted didn't like that either as the pages weren't numbered in that!

As always, it depends on which inspector you have unfortunately.

KatyMac Thu 10-Nov-11 20:32:25

You might have given me the idea TP


I suppose I could print numbers on; at least then if I had to forge one I'd have to put in a bit of effort

ChildrenAtHeart Thu 10-Nov-11 23:09:24

I used to use the NCMA book too but have now devised my own system as I got fed up of using a whole form for very minor things. I now have a log which has one line per incident. It states a number on each line then the name of the child & if its a minor or major incident/accident. Each child has their own minor incident/accident sheet (bumps & bruises mainly, where treatment is usually cold compress & TLC) on which I record the essentials (ie what happened, where, when, treatment etc with a column to record any further action required eg parent to monitor, review risk assessment etc, a column for me to sign & a column for parent to sign. Parent doesn't get a copy, I record the info on child's daily diary. For major incidents/accidents (open wounds etc where 1st aid required) I still use the NCMA loose leaf accident forms & parent gets a copy after we've both signed. Both go in the child's file. The log I review periodically to see if there is any pattern eg same child appearing lots and then follow up to see if I need to review my RA's.
There is no requirement for a numbered system as your Ofsted Inspector obviously knew but was being picky. Did they downgrade you as a result? If so you could challenge their grading

mranchovy Thu 10-Nov-11 23:32:05

Can't see any reason for them to be numbered, none of the official HSE recognised books are - accident records are there to protect you so there would be no point in destroying them.

They are ALL duplicated though - because in most organisations there is an obligation to give a copy to the 'person responsible for health and safety'. If you are a childminder, you don't need to give an extra copy to yourself but you DO need to inform the parents, so a duplicate book is ideal.

mranchovy Thu 10-Nov-11 23:39:14

Ah, good point about demonstrating you have not forged it months/years later Katy.

Stick to your numbered duplicate book and tell the Ofsted inspector that 'looking professional' is a minor consideration compared with (i) the protection of the children in your care; (ii) fulfilling your legal obligation to have an effective system for the management of health and safety; and (iii) protecting you and your insurers from claims by keeping records that are demonstrably accurate and complete.

Ignorant jobsworth.

ChildrenAtHeart Thu 10-Nov-11 23:47:20

'like' Mr A

ayla99 Fri 11-Nov-11 08:16:02

Well said Mr A.

Is this a verbal suggestion or is it in your report as an action?

My last inspector told me to label all my toy boxes in the languages of the mindees I was caring for. She didn't put this in writing so I ignored it - the boxes are see through so the labels would prevent the non-literate mindees from seeing what's inside. She gave me a handwritten list of "suggestions" - but these are just her personal opinions not legal requirements as they're not in the report so I only followed the bits I agreed with.

There is nothing in EYFS or anywhere else to dictate which form you should use or how it should look. As long as all the information is there and legible I don't see this as a problem. There is a slight risk of info being missed out if you are using a blank duplicate book rather than a preprinted form with all the headings to remind you & your assistants.

lisa1968 Fri 11-Nov-11 22:35:26

I use a duplicate book-always have done and Ofsted have always OK'd it.Unfortunately,until all Ofsted inspectors inspect in exactly the same way,there is always going to be something that one of them picks up on that the others dont.....

hayleysd Sat 12-Nov-11 07:35:05

The ncma ones aren't numbered?

HoneyPablo Sat 12-Nov-11 07:58:15

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Are childminders expected to give parents a copy of accident forms then?
In the nursery where I work we just have a pre-printed accident form that is not numbered, or copied. It is an A4 size that is filled in by the staff, signed by the parent and then filed away.

KatyMac Sun 13-Nov-11 10:30:58

Yes we give the parents a copy

It's written in to the report; & we have a policy/procedure for writing incidents/accidents & no-one new is allowed to do them without a countersignature from a more experienced member of staff

Lewis3 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:57:58

It has been something we have talked about a lot in both the Level 2 Award in Paediatric First Aid and Level 2 Award in Paediatric Emergency First Aid. With us talking about children then there are more issues than with adult where it says to keep forms at least 3 years.

The information I have written below is relevant whether a child minder, nursery staff, afterschool staff, nanny or mother & toddler group leader.

Accident report books should be easily accessible but should also comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). Meaning that there is minimal details remaining in the books, so in the DPA compliant books this normally means the sheets tear out. So left in the book is just a small slip saying date, time and record sheet number, which corresponds with the details at the top of the completed sheet.

It means if I went into the nursery, after-school club or the child minders home and picked up their record books I would not be able to read the names of anybody or details of incidents. The completed sheets must be kept securely, the normal advice is in a locked filing cupboard. These records are accessed then for some of the following reasons: accident investigation, CSSIW inspections or if an injury claim. In a nursery it is normally the Manager’s responsibility to ensure these are kept secure an only accessed when needed. Businesses were required to make changes to their accident book to comply with the DPA requirements by 31 December 2003.

One of the common questions is how long must these be kept secure, the answer is until the child’s 21st birthday, so normally file them in filing cabinet by the date of birth. The reason for this is shown below, as the child can make a claim until then and you may be called upon to present the accident record and can call upon the person that completed the form and first aider as a witness.

‘As the parent or guardian of an injured baby or child you can make a claim for accident compensation on their behalf as soon as the accident has happened if you wish up until the child reaches 18 years old. Once an injured child reaches the age of 18 they have 3 years in which to make a personal injury claim for compensation themselves if their parent or guardian has not already done so.’

It also means that when they turn 21 it should be shredded as under DPA it then says you should not hold it past then. Most places cover this in either a children’s records policy or first aid policy so parents know this information will be kept on file. Here is an example

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: