Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to charge?

(5 Posts)
aupair101 Tue 25-Oct-11 16:50:41

I'm in contact with a family who are looking for a holiday nanny over christmas and new year.

They are going abroad in Europe and would like someone to go with them to look after one child aged 5.

Travel, board and accomodation is included, but there are no fixed hours.

I would have 2 days off each week, but would be babysitting for 4 or possibly 5 evenings a week.

I have 6 years experiance and am nearly finished my paediatric nurse training, hence only having 2 weeks off to be able to do this job.

I was thinking somewhere in the region of £50 per day, basically £500 for the 2 weeks. I have no clue if I am over or under charging, and any advice is helpful.

Thanks smile

Ebb Tue 25-Oct-11 18:08:20

£50 a day seems very low. If you end up working 10hrs + a day/evening then it's not even meeting NMW. ( I know NMW doesn't apply to live in but still! ) They want you to take complete control of the childs daily and evening routine so it sounds pretty full on. I'd be asking for £400 a week ( well I'd be asking for a lot more as I'm more experienced wink ) especially if you are expected to work Christmas day and New Years Eve/day.

eurycantha Tue 25-Oct-11 18:16:18

I think that as you are having the child all day on 5 days ,which must mean that for the five days you are working you may be doing 16 hours,I would not accept £50 for these hours myself .Going away with family can be great but it can also be a lot of work in a different country alone with your charge while the parents are out.Others will be along to give you a daily rate for this position ,but £50 just seems too low to me,Do the family live in London ?

Ebb Tue 25-Oct-11 18:57:08

The family lives in the Southwest so would be paying a minimum of £8ph for a local nanny. ( I live in the SW so have seen the ad. ) I think they should pay a premium for a temp and over the Christmas period tbh so that's why I said £400 a week minimum.

eurycantha Tue 25-Oct-11 19:47:56

Ebb I would want £400 a week also especially as she is away for Christmas.Aupair are you working Christmas day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now