Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Meeting childminder properly for the first time. What questions should I be asking?

(4 Posts)
PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 17-Oct-11 09:31:59

My mind has gone blank.

Childminder will look after 22mth old DS for 3 days a week, until xmas. He then goes into nursery and she goes on maternity leave! (he already had nursery place, but can't start til 2yrs old, and luckily she is only available until xmas, perfect eh?!). Her children are at DDs school so I was recommended her from the pre-school attached where DS is going in Jan, and have met her several times at school since speaking on the phone, so we know each other by sight/to chat casually. This is the first meeting to discuss the details of care and for her to properly meet DS/him to meet her.

She will initially be doing 9-3, with the odd earlier morning/later afternoon (happy for this to be fluid). Lunch is provided in the cost, breakfast/tea if needed on those days is additional.

She is ofsted registered, so obviously I will get her number. Does she have certificates? should I be asking to see these? I think she will be showing me these anyway as she has a portfolio to show me, she said with info I need to know.

What else should I be asking?

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 17-Oct-11 09:46:59

bump

An0therName Mon 17-Oct-11 09:54:52

look on NCMA website they have a list of questions
is she CRB checked, ask to see her lastest ofsted report - I ask to see references, CRB checks -her and any other adult in house
then sww how she realates to child and gut feeling really - for older child who has been recommended though I wouldn't stress too much

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 17-Oct-11 09:58:21

thanks, i will take a look.
She has CRB check for her and for her DH, who is in the forces and away most of the time. I think she is going to show me all this, but I will make sure I ask to see if not.

My gut instinct is that I click with her, she is warm and friendly, but I am a little concerned about how she will manage my highly energetic, often non-sleeping boy when she is pregnant! but then, she has two of her own in the mornings/evenings and manages fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now