Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Voluntary nannies

(4 Posts)
confusedpixie Sun 16-Oct-11 13:00:27

It sounds odd but I was wondering if there is such a thing? People who help in the home with the kids or just make a meal. I'm thinking more along the lines of helping people who need some respite or have a child in hospital and just need a hand.

Does this kind of thing exist? My housemate asked me earlier if families ask for nannies to work for free this morning and a thread on AIBU made me think about it at a different angle.

joey99 Sun 16-Oct-11 13:06:03

We have Homestart here which i volunteer for, you are a cross between a mentor and a helper. tasks can vary from helping suggest and implement routines etc for children, breatfeeding advive etc to helping with housework and cooking etc when people are finding it hard to cope. I give 2 hours a week and really enjoy it and the young family i help find it really beneficial. A lot of it is common sense from having children yourself and some people with no family help etc really need this sort of thing. It is nationwide so you can find your local one

hayleysd Sun 16-Oct-11 14:07:07

I think Barnados do similar to homestart disabled children, mil used to volunteer to get out of the house.

confusedpixie Sun 16-Oct-11 14:24:51

Thanks for the info smile I'm looking to volunteer once I'm settled into my new jobs and thought that I may as well try doing something I enjoy doing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now