Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do childminders want a deposit?

(12 Posts)
HumanBehaviour Fri 14-Oct-11 18:44:09

Do they want a large deposit jus like nurseries? And do they provide food?

Reality Fri 14-Oct-11 18:45:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HumanBehaviour Fri 14-Oct-11 18:46:12

Thanks Reality!

nannynick Fri 14-Oct-11 21:55:37

Deposit makes it sound to me as though it's something that is refundable.

With a nursery or a childminder, you could find that you are paying to secure a place. That would be a retainer fee. It isn't refundable, unless the provider decides it is. There may also be a fee of some kind which is refunded at a future date (such as at the end of the contract, if you give the required notice to end the contact).

Make sure you know what costs you are agreeing to pay and if any of that cost is refundable should you decide to pull out before your child actually starts being cared for by that provider, or if after a period of time you decide to terminate the contract by giving notice.

Childminders like nurseries will all have different contracts. They will have different ways of doing things. So ask, don't assume. If the word Deposit is used, make sure you both know what that means - as what you feel it means and what they feel it means could be different.

HumanBehaviour Sat 15-Oct-11 08:01:32

Thank you.
The reason I'm asking is because I've got an interview for a job which I am hoping to get, but as we've been living on one income for a long time we do not have a lot of cash so would not be able to pay a big sum up front until I get my first wage (if I get the job that is).

I guess I'm better off asking the childminder directly.

NickNacks Sat 15-Oct-11 08:11:05

In this instance I would be happy to take just a small deposit refundable on the first months invoice, non refundable if you pull out. However all cm's and nurseries that I know charge fees in advance- do you have that?

anewyear Sat 15-Oct-11 09:08:42

As Reality says, some do, some dont.
Personally I prob'ly wouldnt, although I have charged a retainer before.
I dont provide food, neither do any of the childminders in my village, however I do provide a snack at 4pm when they get in from school.
some childminders I know prefer the children to bring their own food and snacks.
So yes do ask any potential childminder any questions you might have, take a list with you even smile

yellowsubmarine41 Sat 15-Oct-11 09:17:50

Is not providing food usual practice for childmilders?

I ask because both of the childminders I've used provide meals and snacks. I've always thought that was the benefit of using a CM for after school rather than an after school club. I also can't imagine packing a baby up with all their food/drinks/snacks every day. In these circumstances, I'd go for a nursery if I had a choice.

NickNacks Sat 15-Oct-11 09:30:42

I provide all drinks, snacks and meals.

HSMM Sat 15-Oct-11 09:41:43

I provide food. I usually take a month deposit, which is refunded against Childcare fees. All fees payable monthly in advance.

You need to ask Minders in your area.

ChildrenAtHeart Sat 15-Oct-11 10:27:34

I ask for a deposit equivalent to 2 weeks fees (which is also my notice period). This is credited towards to client's final invoice when notice is given but is non-refundable if client leaves without giving notice or doesn't take up the place after all. This is to secure the place & protect me if client does a bunk (only happened once in 11 years thank goodness). I also request fees in advance in addition to this - the amount will depend on how the client is paying - if weekly its a week's fees, if monthly its a month's fees etc. This is different to a retainer, which I would charge as well as a deposit - if I were holding a space for someone where I have a vacancy they want but don't want it till some point in the future. I don't normally charge a retainer if care is due to start within a couple of weeks though.
I include all food in my fees but I know a number of local CMs who ask parents to provide packed lunches, and some snacks as well.

Tanith Sat 15-Oct-11 16:41:54

I haven't for a while now, but I'm seriously reconsidering it. Getting fed up of people booking 5 days, then reducing them, then "Oh sorry - the nursery charged a deposit and I didn't want to lose it!".
In the meantime, I'll have turned away families who are genuine about wanting my services.

Yes, I provide food, and nappies, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now