Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

EYFS - Learning Journey/Planning etc - take me through what you do from when they first start with you........

(17 Posts)
looneytune Fri 14-Oct-11 12:08:22

Hi all

I've decided my way of doing all this paperwork is just too time consuming and I'd quite like a life outside of childminding. I have therefore decided I need to start a fresh new system and now is a good time as I have a new mindee with a nice sparkly new file smile

Would you kindly share with me your system for dealing with all this required paperwork. I was thinking of using the diary diary I email and highlighting in different colours what areas of learning they link to but I don't want to write planning on every single note I make as it would be too much.

So starting from when a child joins your setting, what do you do?

One more question.........I know this child was in a nursery for 8 months before coming to me yet the mum has never heard of a file for their child (never even got told what they did, how they slept/ate etc etc) so am I ok to just write a note saying no file was passed on?)

TIA smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 14-Oct-11 12:35:54

ooh I'm going to watch with interest, could do with an overhaul too

NB No File handed on from nursery would be fine, you are showing that you have asked for one. Poor parents though, not to have a record of their child's time there sad

looneytune Fri 14-Oct-11 12:46:30

I know, they didn't even know anything about their day and were overwhelmed with my daily diaries, photos etc. Don't think they realised what they should have expected to get! sad

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 14-Oct-11 12:49:11

awful sad

HSMM Fri 14-Oct-11 13:12:16

Duplicate diary. Parents take home top copy. On my copy I write areas of learning and next steps. Lots of photos. Summative assessment each term.

Once I have done summative assessment all the notes and photos from that term go home with the child.

I overhauled a few months ago.

trish3717 Fri 14-Oct-11 22:06:15

Right, I like as little paperwork as possible so 1 daily diary which i just make qick notes in about their day with sleep and eaten, 2 I have ob book where itake photos of activity/make ob and then link to eyfs i.e KUW, PD with next step underneith, 3 use copy of eyfs stages from disc in pack which I highlight and date when they reach/achieve that stage (parents can see on request). Thats it!! For planning i just have photos ofall toys and activities (velcro on back)and when children arrive they choose what to do that day and stick it up on a board....not sure if this is right but due a visit from area coordinator sowill soon find out!! let me know what youthink????

moogster1a Sat 15-Oct-11 07:40:44

i had an inspection last week and got a good in all areas and she liked how I noted down all my EYFS so here it is:
daily diary that goes home each day. couple of lines in it about what we did that day, sleep, eating.
Once a month I fill in a sheet which is split into 6 for each of the areas. i choose ( make up) an observation to fit each. Under each is net steps which is also planning, When next steps are done / observed I tick them off in a coloured pen.

HSMM Sat 15-Oct-11 09:38:48

Moogster. I like your observed sheet. That's kind of what I do once a term, but yours sounds better.

looneytune Sat 15-Oct-11 14:00:14

Thanks everyone smile

Moogster - well done on your Ofsted. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the form you use? If so, my email is enquiries at helenslittleangels dot co dot uk. Understand if you'd rather not though.

Tanith Sat 15-Oct-11 16:32:32

Have you read Penny Tassoni's follow-up book, where she looks at paperwork with a childminder as an example? I thought it was really interesting. The childminder in question has a lot of her paperwork on her iphone. I got the impression she was using it for daily diaries as well.

AMYJ1234 Sat 15-Oct-11 19:19:58

dont forget to start your file with the childs 'starting point' I havent got it on the computer so cannot e -mail. Just a few A4 sides - I put a photo from childs home maybe taken with their family (but thats not necessary) For parents to fill in.. what the child likes / dislikes/ what they can do ie feed themselves or count to 10 etc etc. About their family, what their routine is, any other info (maybe special blanket or things they do to signal they are tired, what they like to play with, when they are upset what they might need?
Ofsted are HOT HOT HOT on starting points!
Hope that helps x

AMYJ1234 Sat 15-Oct-11 19:30:31

also, your parent could include on it that baby has been in a nursery but has never been given any info from there...she should name and shame that nursery LOL!!

Netnet33 Mon 19-Jan-15 11:29:32

Hi moogster,
Please help!
I've got my inspection soon and I'm useless at paper work. I have just read your post about your daily diary and obs sheet. Please please email me a copy of yours so I have something to go on when I try and do mine my email is degdeg1 at ntlworld dott comm

Best wishes x

Tanith Mon 19-Jan-15 20:33:18

I haven't seen either Looney or Moogy on here for ages sad

Pop over to - they have loads of help and ideas.

adsy Tue 20-Jan-15 09:56:45

HI Tanith, I'm here ( under a different name! clue: I'm not loony!)).
I just emailed my assessment sheets to netnet33.
How you doing?

Tanith Wed 21-Jan-15 09:47:52

Hi Moogy!! grin <waves frantically>

I should have guessed, but I'm awful at keeping track of name changes. It's why I stick with my own (so I can't forget it wink).

I just about keep up withTheBody - I'm sure she likes to confuse me grin

anewyear Sat 24-Jan-15 12:40:20

I can also recommend,
You lot on here are pretty informative too..grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now