Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has anyone set up a nursery!?

(39 Posts)
navyeyelasH Thu 13-Oct-11 15:31:08

Hey folks, long time since I was last here but I was rather hoping you brilliant people could help me out as Ofsted as ever, are useless don't seem sure.

I am a childminder, working alongside another childminder and have been for 3 years nearly. We employ an assitant and have 1 day off each week alternatively. So well clued up on running a business and employing 1 person.

We have been totally full for the last 3 years and each year we have more people that we have to turn away. I was thinking about setting up as a nursery but wanted to do some research, mainy on costs and also about who can actually run a nursery. I quite like the idea of having a manager to do it so I can still play, not sure how feasible that is.

Anyway, any advice would be brilliant; the main things I am struggling with are:

Costs involved with Ofsted
Costs involved in running a business from a home that isn't your own, like are there council bax discounts or similar
Are ratios different?

Anything else really you want to add, I would love to hear. Hope you're all good x

navyeyelasH Thu 13-Oct-11 15:31:41

oh, and qualifications you need!

navyeyelasH Thu 13-Oct-11 19:03:02

Nick, BALD, Katymac... any other clever folk... r u here?

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 13-Oct-11 20:00:42

oooh hellair me ole mucker

I'll have a think and be right back x x x

nbee84 Thu 13-Oct-11 20:28:48

Sorry, no advice (think KatyMac's your gal for this one) just wanted to say is it 3 years! Doesn't time fly grin

LesbianMummy1 Thu 13-Oct-11 20:32:19

You will need this http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/childcare-registration-form-early-years-register-preparing-for-your-registration-visit

Ratios are in appendix 2 of eyfs statutory framework pages 48 & 49

LesbianMummy1 Thu 13-Oct-11 20:32:31

You will need this www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/childcare-registration-form-early-years-register-preparing-for-your-registration-visit

Ratios are in appendix 2 of eyfs statutory framework pages 48 & 49

KatyMac Thu 13-Oct-11 20:33:22

Sorry revising.....Sat am OK??

Can you waiit?

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 13-Oct-11 20:38:01

oh well done, LM, I've been digging around but not so fast as you, v impressive

(and phew, here's Katy too)

safe hands x

LesbianMummy1 Thu 13-Oct-11 20:44:54

Also useful will be www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/childcare-registration-form-childcare-provider-non-domestic-or-domestic-premises-applicant-checklist and www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/registration-and-suitability-handbook and www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/childcare-registration-form-paying-fees-for-application-and-continued-registration-early-years-regis with regards to council tax if you only use the premises as a business then you will be liable for business rates which vary from area to area.

nannynick Thu 13-Oct-11 21:09:57

Business Rates are a big cost to take into account.

A friend of mine who has changed from being a childminder to being a nursery has had hassle with regard to policies & procedures. Can't just use the childminder ones, need to spend a lot of time rewriting the lot. Though maybe it was just that the Ofsted inspector had a bad day!

Staff ratios - you need to get that right and it can be tricky especially if you are having a mix of ages in the same room.

navyeyelasH Thu 13-Oct-11 21:19:54

Brilliant, thank you everyone.

BALd - I know, long time no speak, I just don't have the time sadly! How you keeping my lovely?

LM thanks for all the brilliant links, I will have a good read. Sadly nearly everything I have read so far which ok, was only 2 things before I asked here! was out of date and the stuff Ofsted sent me was broken links!

nbee84, I know it goes quick doesn't it! I've technically only been doing it from my house for about 2 years 2 months, and that is when I was on here the most, so it's not quite 3 years yet wink

Katy you're a star, no rush at all, I will see you on Sat x

Nick - brilliant as ever!

Thankyou everyone, no doubt I will be back over the next couple of days, might reignite my addiction!

smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 13-Oct-11 21:31:21

I am fine, busy busy busy, in fact busier than I want tbh but in the current economic climate I ain't turning down work like I used to

Catch up properly soon lovely lady x x x

LesbianMummy1 Thu 13-Oct-11 21:52:51

Qualification wise NVQ3 is acceptable for supervisor. If you have a qualified teacher during 8am and 4pm your ratio is different. Sorry popping off again but feel free to message me for any further info.

trish3717 Fri 14-Oct-11 22:16:54

I think i read something about suitable person who needs 2 years supervisory/managerial experience anda level 3 qualification.....cant remeber where??

Hope this helps, i researched setting up nursery
Size and Staffing
Ratios
1:2 up to two years
1:4 up to three years
1:8 over three years

Floor space requirements
Up to 2 =3.5 m2
2-3 =2.5m2
3+ =2.3 m2

Toilets
There must be 1 toilet/basin per 10 children over 2

Staffing
At least half staff must be qualified Nursery nurses, no group should exceed the size of 26

KatyMac Sat 15-Oct-11 10:51:55

I'm here (I'm off shopping soon)

What specifically do you want to know?

BTW for under 2's I think it's 1:3.....at least that is the ratio I work to

HoneyPablo Sat 15-Oct-11 10:55:03

It is 1:3 for under 2's

KatyMac Sat 15-Oct-11 10:57:47

<phew> no visit from an avenging OFSTED then

HoneyPablo Sat 15-Oct-11 11:04:52

In nurseries the emphasis is very much on getting the staff better qualified. Managers should have a minimum of a level 3, at the moment, with plans for this to be raised to a level 4. The minimum level to be employed at the moment is a level 2 but there are plans for this to be raised to a level 3. There are plans for every setting to have an early years professional too. These aims were put in place by the last government and are currently still being honoured by the current government.

KatyMac Sat 15-Oct-11 11:19:05

I know I am 3/4 of the way through a business degree Then I get to do my EYP (if still exists) before 2015 when they get to shut me if I haven't done it all

purple15 Sat 15-Oct-11 20:55:08

Just closed my nursery after 15 years. Please take this advice, do not do it. It is just a massive headache. Stay as you are. The staff are a complete nightmare, the more you give them, the more they want. Every month, is a worry, will it cover the massive wages bill. The ratio is so tight. Staff sickness is horrendous. Stay as you are low numbers, low outgoings, less hassle!

nannynick Sat 15-Oct-11 22:00:41

I've not seen my friend for months. When she was a childminder we would often see each other weekly if not more often.
You lose the freedom to take the children walking in the woods, to the park, or whatever you may currently do with children and meet other childcarers out and about.

Think about your reasons for why you want to change from childminding to nursery. Your turnover may well increase, your profits may not.

purple15 Sun 16-Oct-11 17:38:07

I totally agree, the money coming into nursery is quite a lot, but what you are left with, it probably is the same. The overheads are massive.

KatyMac Sun 16-Oct-11 19:04:19

If you take out the accommodation costs it's fine; but they stuff it up

navyeyelasH Mon 17-Oct-11 18:41:59

Yeh I have been looking at the numbers and money; with 9 kids by the time I pay out for everything I will be on the same money that I am now with 6 children; so it really is a numbers game.

I would definitely not be interested in managing the place, as I enjoy playing with the kids too much, hence me asking about what a manager would need in terms of training etc as I would employ someone and then take maybe 10 hours a week off to oversee everything.

My idea of a nursery isn't really like a typical nursery, but don't worry I will certainly be thinking this over and wont be doing anything until at least Sep 2012. But this year for example we could have taken on more children which would mean 12 full time spaces being filled. We're also one of the most expensive childminder settings in the area.

Having said that, so far with only 1 employee I have found being an employer a pain in the arse! So have to really think things through.

Thanks again everyone, keep the thoughts coming!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now