Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Temporary nanny- what do I do about contracts/pay rates etc?

(11 Posts)
snowwombat Thu 13-Oct-11 12:47:32

I would really appreciate any advice about hiring my first temporary nanny.

We have recently moved house, and I have not yet sorted any childcare for the DCs 2.3 and 10 months.

I need to be abroad with work for a week in the next few weeks. I am looking to employ a temporary nanny for a 5 days. They would be required to work a 7-7 day, and could be live in or out (we are in a very rural area).

I have advertised on childcare. co .uk, but apart from placing the ad I have no idea about what would be an appropriate pay rate and organising a contract. Could anyone please advise? Many , many thanks

snowwombat Thu 13-Oct-11 23:13:20

Bump.
Anyone? Can anyone point me in the direction of a standard contract or suggest what is appropriate for a temp nanny? thanks

mranchovy Thu 13-Oct-11 23:21:46

For 5 days your best bet is probably an agency: they will have a standard contract and fixed rates.

snowwombat Fri 14-Oct-11 07:24:03

Thanks mranchovy, I now have 2 candidates to interview without using an agency but could really use some guidance about the legalities of employing a temp and the contract.

Do I need to pay NI etc on a week's contract?

fraktious Fri 14-Oct-11 10:54:29

Opinion is divided. If a nanny js a continuous temp/maternity nanny and is registered SE then you could probably not pay NI. In that case I would expect them to provide you with a contract for their services.

snowwombat Fri 14-Oct-11 12:03:14

thanks fraktious. It is the first time we have employed a nanny and i want to get it right. It is only for a week, but we are likely to have a succession of nannies with 3-5 day position every few months when I am away with work.
I have been reading up, but I can't figure it out. I think I am going to need to register with HMRC as an employer.

Would any of the nanny tax companies be appropriate if I was needing help with a number of temp nannies over the next 6-12 months. I am so confused and I need to sort this by the middle of next week.

Novstar Fri 14-Oct-11 12:22:04

Registering as employer for a week's work sounds like a lot of hassle. You're better off getting a self employed nanny, which is possible for temps. Some agencies I've contacted before for temps told me that they (or maybe they meant the nanny) pay the tax and NI, presumably because either the nanny has self employed status for that kind of temp work, or because they are actually employed by the agency.
But if you\'re not going through an agency, can't you get your candidates to call up HMRC and confirm that they can be self employed for that piece of work?
No harm talking to payroll compnaies.

mranchovy Fri 14-Oct-11 14:12:36

You have three choices:

1. Use an agency.

2. Use self employed nannies. Adapt a precedent contract from one of the many firms that sell them on the net (google 'self employed contract') - make sure it is suitable for use in the UK! Make sure the nannies are self employed by asking for their UTR and checking with HMRC. Beware that if you use the same nanny on a regular basis it is likely to become a position of employment.

3. Employ one or more nannies on what is called a 'casual' basis. You might find a payroll agency to help you, although they may charge more than their normal rate as it is a LOT more work.

mranchovy Fri 14-Oct-11 14:17:23

As for a fair rate, self employed should be at least 10%-25% higher than employed rate per hour because there is no holiday pay or Employer's National Insurance.

lesstalkmoreaction Sat 15-Oct-11 11:45:15

I'm a self employed registered nanny and charge up to £12 per hour for adhoc casual work, I would be giving you an invoice when the work is complete. Whereabouts are you as someone may be able to recommend either an agency or a nanny. I'm in the cotswolds if thats any help.

snowwombat Wed 19-Oct-11 15:24:48

thanks everyone who replied, that has been really useful. Nanny agency sorted as a back up, nanny payroll organised and a self employed nanny coming for a casual job.

lesstalk you would have been perfect if we had not moved, were previously in Oxf'shire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now