Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What salary should I offer?

(26 Posts)
VickyMoves2London Wed 12-Oct-11 20:20:50

Hi,

it seems that I have found the right person to look after my two children. She is 19, has worked as an aupair plus in America with infants and small children before plus her first language is German and she speaks English and French fluently (Our children grow up tri-lingually.) She has less than one year experience. She will work five long days plus occasionally babysitting. Our daughter will go to nursery for the whole day (9-3).

What salary shall I offer? Shall I offer it net or gross? We will declare taxes etc.

Gigondas Wed 12-Oct-11 20:22:03

More facts please- assume it's a nanny jib,Where are you and is it a live in job.

And always offer gross

RitaMorgan Wed 12-Oct-11 20:22:59

Offer gross. What can you afford? I'd think somewhere between £7-£9 an hour.

VickyMoves2London Wed 12-Oct-11 20:24:44

Around 55-60 hours a week, live-in. It is a nanny job, but she has less than one year experience looking after children.

RitaMorgan Wed 12-Oct-11 20:28:29

Live-in - maybe £350 gross a week?

Gigondas Wed 12-Oct-11 20:32:18

Salary range link

Paye calculator www.nannytax.co.uk/calculator/new-calculator.html

nannynick Wed 12-Oct-11 20:33:43

You have two children, yet only mention your daughter going to nursery 9-3. What about your other child?

Location - London I assume, central? outer?

Do you have any idea on how much they might be expecting to earn?

VickyMoves2London Wed 12-Oct-11 20:48:41

@Nannynick

Yes, I have two children. Our son who is six months will stay at home with the nanny while our daughter goes to nursery.

We will live in inner London (Zone 1).

@RitaMorgan Yes, I have read about the £350 a week for live-in nannies. But I could get nannies with much more experience for this.

The person is currently working as an aupair plus, getting 80£ for 35-40h a week with lots of housework. I think it is a big step from 80 to £350 net a week for a person that doesn't have much experience.

RitaMorgan Wed 12-Oct-11 20:54:42

£350 net is probably about average. £350 gross is quite a lot less - about £280 net I think. £350 net is about £100 a week more than £350 gross.

You're asking for long hours - 60 a week. I know you can offset some money for the accomodation but looking after a 6 month old full time shouldn't be a minimum wage job imo.

Gigondas Wed 12-Oct-11 20:55:56

Well that's a matter of discussion but keep in mind the minimum wage of 4.98 ph so that is something like 270 pw minimum wage

RitaMorgan Wed 12-Oct-11 20:58:34

£298.80 for a 60 hour week isn't it?

drinkyourmilk Wed 12-Oct-11 21:02:08

minimum wage doesnt apply for live in nannies

VickyMoves2London Wed 12-Oct-11 21:05:16

Thanks for all your replies. It's not be trying to save pennies. I was just wondering what other people would pay as I couldn't find information about salary for "junior" nannies who don't have much experience. I will now contact the person and wonder what she expects. Vicky

RitaMorgan Wed 12-Oct-11 21:06:00

I believe it does apply, but there is an amount that accomodation can count towards minimum wage.

It doesn't apply to au pairs as they live as part of the family, joining in with meals, chores, family activities etc.

drinkyourmilk Wed 12-Oct-11 21:09:54

Oh really Rita? I had no idea. I'm a nanny and have always been told by agencies that nmw doesn't apply to live-ins. Learn something new every day :-)

Gigondas Wed 12-Oct-11 21:12:11

Agree rita - if you read wording you would not expect it to apply to nannies for reason said (I think though nannies are outside the eu working time directive).

Op - think your idea of negotiation is best

nannynick Wed 12-Oct-11 22:24:57

Some basic info about the Accommodation Offset.

A live-in nanny may be involved in family activities outside of their working hours. in the same way that an au-pair might be involved in activities. By having someone involved more in family life can then exclude them from NMW requirements.

Could argue it either way I suppose. However it may be useful from the point of looking at what is an acceptable minimum to be paying... how much they could get in another job - such as working at a hotel (where they may also get accommodation).

NMW from Oct 2011 for 18-20yr old = £4.98
60 Hours = £298.80
Accommodation offset: £33.11
£265.69

So around £270 gross per week I feel would be a starting salary. They may however have certain expectations themselves for what they would want to earn given that they would be caring for a baby for 55-60 hours a week.

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 22:57:50

Forget about NMW and the Accomodation Offset, live-in nannies (unless they have self-contained accommodation) are exempt from the NMW.

£350 a week is far too much for a 19 year old with 1 year experience. I would have thought £250-£275 is about right, although she would probably justify an upwards review at 6 and 12 months.

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 23:00:16

Gross of course.

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 23:05:02

Woah, just noticed FT sole charge of 6 month old. Anyone who is capable of doing that job is worth £350, she is underqualified (unless she has a qualification in child care, in which case with that and 12 months experience she is just about there).

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 23:06:15

And that nannytax calculator is rubbish grin

lovethislife Wed 12-Oct-11 23:15:36

Out of interest what would it be net annually/ and monthly then per year?

And what do you pay your childminder OP?

nannynick Wed 12-Oct-11 23:43:50

lovethislife - use PAYE Calculator which will let you enter in either Gross or Net figures along with Taxcode and calculate monthly, yearly, weekly figures.

£350 gross per week, is £14,772 net per year, taxcode: 747L
Note: When doing actual payroll the figures may be slightly different due to how payroll is calculated on a per payroll run basis (weekly/monthly) plus that there can often be changed to income tax and NI rates during a year. Taxcode can also change. It should not be assumed that someone will always have a 747L taxcode, as there can be various factors that mean that an individuals code is different. Thus why it's Gross wage that should be agreed, not Net.

pinkpeony Thu 13-Oct-11 10:04:45

If you are in zone 1, for a full-time, sole charge, live-in nanny with no full-time nanny experience or qualifications who is 19, £250-£300 net per week would be fair. In central London, nanny salaries tend to be quoted net. If she had 1-2 years of experience as full-time, sole charge etc., she could probably get £300. Bilingual or trilingual nannies do sometimes get a premium though.

lovethislife Fri 14-Oct-11 00:00:28

Wow I think that is pretty horrendous money for the nanny in charge of a 6 month old...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now