Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny ofsted registration help

(16 Posts)
MilkNoSugarPlease Tue 11-Oct-11 20:22:56

I literally need a list of everything I need and need to do to apply!!


Please grin


confusedpixie Tue 11-Oct-11 22:22:47

Paediatric First Aid (12 hour)
Common Core Skills/Level 3
Liability Insurance.

I'm just working on the Common Core Skills (Well, trying to find a course!) so that I can register too. It's a nightmare.

Sorry to gatecrash but, does anybody know if nannies can do CYPOP5 for the Ofsted req? MNT have told me that it won't be valid for Ofsted as I'm a nanny but I'm wondering if that's right?

longjane Wed 12-Oct-11 06:47:06

I thought it was only a level 2 course was needed

fraktious Wed 12-Oct-11 06:50:15

CYPOP5 replaced the ICP and is the new common core so I would imagine it was. Call OFSTED to check though.

Level 2 is fine for registration.

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 17:42:12

No, the Introduction to Childcare Practice is Unit 1 of the Level 2 Diploma in Childcare Practice. CYPOP5 is a more specialised (in childminding), optional unit of the Level 3 Diploma that does not cover all of the common core and is not therefore suitable for registration on the voluntary register.

It's no wonder the poor OP (and everyone else) is confused, this is a total mess. The only reason the voluntary register exists is for childcare vouchers, and so the establishment and communication of its requirements is just an afterthought.

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 17:53:18

Sorry, I mixed some old and new terminology there - even I am confused. Come to that, even the Children's Workforce Development Council who are responsible for this unholy mess are confused as you can see from that page!

confusedpixie Wed 12-Oct-11 18:12:57

I'm very confused! wink

I'll just do the CCS, it'll be easier to just get it over with!

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 18:45:42

Well that is the easiest and safest bet - I see MNT do either a 1 day (Saturday) course in London or a home study course each for £150.

fraktious Thu 13-Oct-11 05:32:20

Wow so if CYPOP5 doesn't cover the common core then CMs aren't covering it?!

I'm sure I read somewhere that OFSTED accepted CYPOP5 as a direct replacement because the old ICP was being withdrawn. I would search but I ought to go wash porridge and apple out my hair really.

confusedpixie Thu 13-Oct-11 14:35:26

Frak - I thought the same. It was only when I called MNT to ask if I could do the CYPOP5 early (as I'm currently doing the level 3 through them) that they told me that it didn't count for nannies/voluntary register only. I haven't checked this with Ofsted though.

mranchovy Thu 13-Oct-11 22:48:40

It's a huge anomaly.

Registration on the voluntary register requires common core skills training.

Compulsory registration only requires commitment to complete a LA approved course (and I understand that many LAs are approving CYPOP5).

This is the detail of the requirements:

Voluntary register: BEFORE registration
- either qualification at a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to childcare, or
- training in the core skills as set out in the document ‘common core of skills and knowledge for the children’s workforce’.

Complusory registration:
Childminders must ensure that they successfully complete, within six months of registration, a course approved by an English local authority designed to enable the childminder to meet the requirements of registration (unless they have already done so).

The problem is that the requirements of registration simply do not cover the common core skills - here are the six core skills, with notes about whether they map to requirements for registration:

Effective communication and engagement with children, young people and families
'Providing information to parents' is a requirement, but 'engagement with children and young people' doesn't feature

Child and young person development
Not a requirement

Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the child or young person
This is fairly well covered

Supporting transitions
Not a requirement

Multi-agency and integrated working
Not a requirement

Information sharing
Not a requirement

Like I said, it is an unholy mess.

Looe Mon 17-Oct-11 17:34:44

Hi I am Ofsted registered nanny. I did a Playwork Cache level 2 and then a NVQ level 3 in Playwork. At the time I had no idea about the ofsted registration process as was working as a playworker. I saw on the local gov job web site that the council were offering (all I needed was a level 2 qualification in playwork or early years) a free ofsted registration which normaly costs £105 if you signed up to work for them. They also offered another couple of short couses like risk assement and lone working and told you to register as self employed to the tax man. They helped you set up on your own whilst working through them to find parents who needed the hours you offered. I live in Brighton by the way.

You need a common core skill qualification like early years or playwork as they cover the core skills and you must have a first aid certificate and also public liability insurance to work in other peoples homes.

I work for myself now and just would like an ofsted registered nanny board so parents seeking chilcare can find a registered nanny in their area as advertising is expensive as has gone up to £20 per month!!!

nannynick Mon 17-Oct-11 17:51:36

Looe - I presume you must be doing a lot of ad-hoc work, not permanent contract.

Sounds like your local council are trialling some idea someone has had, which is probably designed to help parents find temporary childcare - thus why the funding. The council I suspect is keeping some kind of list of people on that trial, and pointing local parents who contact the council towards that list. So check with the council (Brighton & Hove I presume).

The vast majority of nannies I feel work permanent contracts, either full-time or part-time. Thus the vast majority are Employees, not self employed. Assuming that you are doing lots of ad-hoc work, nothing permanent, then you may well be able to be self employed... and as a someone running their own business you can put through advertising costs. Advertising is an expense you as a business owner incur, as are training courses so when you come to update those, you could put those through the business as well. Chat with your accountant about allowable business expenses.

Could you provide a link to further information about this scheme being run by your council? I suspect it may be of interest to some of us who regularly post here.

Oligo Sat 22-Oct-11 15:12:43

Sorry to drag this up again but seemed relevant to keep all this confusion together. MNT also told me I would have to do both if I want to do both childminding and nannying.
My main childcare course is too old/the wrong sort apparently for any sort of registration.
Has anyone found just one course that covers enough content for registering on both- would this be the level 1 ICP- does it cover core skills?

mranchovy Sun 23-Oct-11 11:45:07

Bear in mind that the only thing MNT are interested in is selling training so their advice is naturally biased.

If you want to do both childminding and nannying, and to be Ofsted registered for both then you would have to register on both the Compulsory and Voluntary registers but that DOESN'T mean you have to buy two lots of training from MNT!

For the compulsory register you need to undertake to complete within 6 months a course approved by your LA. Contact your LA to see what they can do to help - many LAs used to provide this training free, although many have had to cut this due to budget constraints.

For the voluntary register you need to be able to demonstrate that any training you have received in the past can be to mapped to the Common Core Skills. At present this is done simply by making a declaration to that effect on your application form, although if you are inspected the inspector may go through the requirements with you and expect you to explain how the qualification satisfies them: they may suspend or revoke your registration if you cannot do this.

Oligo Sun 23-Oct-11 23:20:45

thank you, that was helpful, though my LA haven't so far been!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now