Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

First Graded Inspection - So Nervous (sorry very long)

(7 Posts)
glenthebattleostrich Sat 08-Oct-11 20:17:14

Hello all,

I got the call on Thursday and Prospect will be coming out in a weeks time. The kids decided to play up as soon as I picked the phone up and were so loud I couldn't hear everything the lady said.

I'm so nervous, even more so hearing some horror stories from other childminders I know.

So, one of the parents wants everything on email as they are leaving the country at Christmas and don't want to cart stuff with them so their childrens stuff is all on line. This means I only have one file to show and the parent has had that for weeks, what if they forget to give it back? In the file I have a baseline assessment, observations with links to EYFS and next steps, art work and photo's of days out.

What will they ask me? I try to do planning each week but I have an 11 month old, a 15 month old and a 3 year old on my books (as well as my DD 17 mths). I find that it doesn't matter what I plan, the babies wander off and do their own thing. I also involve the 3 year old in planning so don't do too much in advance.

I've got risk assessments which I'm pretty happy with (used to work in H&S) and go out lots. My garden is rubbish but we have a lovely park and some playing fields right by where we live so I can cover that.

What have I missed? Do i have to do a SEF?

Aargh help!!!

MaryPoppinsMagic Sat 08-Oct-11 21:12:52

I went to the SEF workshop at the weekend and they said to us that people who didn't complete the SEF ended up with 4 hour visits and the people who did it was around 2 hours long.

The sef really goes a long way in selling your setting and showing the inspector you know what your talking about also confident in what your doing

It isn't compulsory to do the sef, however it is required to be able to show how you run the setting sticking to the set guidelines set out by the eyfs.

On the day of your inspection have set out loads of things for the children to do, painting and crafts and have enough to keep them occupied. Also it would be a good idea to have all their lunches made and in the fridge so when its time to eat you are prepared. If possible get naps done before she comes so they are all in good moods when she comes.

I was told that the inspector really goes on how you interact with the children, so be prepared have all policies + risk assessments signed and out for her to see.

MaryPoppinsMagic Sat 08-Oct-11 21:12:53

I went to the SEF workshop at the weekend and they said to us that people who didn't complete the SEF ended up with 4 hour visits and the people who did it was around 2 hours long.

The sef really goes a long way in selling your setting and showing the inspector you know what your talking about also confident in what your doing

It isn't compulsory to do the sef, however it is required to be able to show how you run the setting sticking to the set guidelines set out by the eyfs.

On the day of your inspection have set out loads of things for the children to do, painting and crafts and have enough to keep them occupied. Also it would be a good idea to have all their lunches made and in the fridge so when its time to eat you are prepared. If possible get naps done before she comes so they are all in good moods when she comes.

I was told that the inspector really goes on how you interact with the children, so be prepared have all policies + risk assessments signed and out for her to see.

HSMM Sat 08-Oct-11 21:34:50

Make sure your risk assessment shows the date you did it and date to be reviewed. SEF really helps, but is not essential.

The idea about having lunch prepped in advance is a good one.

Just have everything laid out ready, so you don't have to go looking. Make sure your registration certificate is on display.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 09-Oct-11 16:59:02

This is brilliant thank you.

I'll do the SEF this week and at the weekend cook up some batches of food to give the children.

My reg cert, insurance and the ofsted complaints poster are displayed in the entrance hall, together with some of the childrens artwork.

I'll leave all my paperwork for her to look at on the kitchen table and do some messy play whilst she does that I think then upstairs for building blocks, story and song time (guaranteed to keep the littlies happy)

Thanks again for the help, keep fingers crossed for me please ;)

surfandturf Thu 13-Oct-11 23:32:03

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine. How long have you been minding? I've been minding for about 5 months so am expecting the call for my First inspection anytime now and I'm not half as organised as you! I have done some observations but haven't actually got around to linking them up to EYFS yet and no next steps /planning done. God I need to pull my finger out! blush

glenthebattleostrich Fri 14-Oct-11 16:16:04

Hi Surf,

I've been minding 5 months and the only reason that I'm vaguely organised is I only worked 2 days per week over the summer so could get lots of stuff done.

Looking forward to spending the whole weekend making sure my paperwork's all looking lovely, doing planning and a million little jobs around the house!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now