Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

tax credits, vouchers etc for childcare

(5 Posts)
mulranno Fri 07-Oct-11 17:12:22

new to this is there an idiots guide to what is and is not available to support payment of an nanny -- is there a max age of the children fr when any benefits are valid?

nannynick Fri 07-Oct-11 21:30:45

WTC2 and WTC5 leaflets from HMRC are worth a read (both links are to PDF).

From WTC2:
~~~
You can claim the childcare element for any child up to:
• the Saturday following 1 September after their 15th birthday, or
• the Saturday following 1 September after their 16th birthday if
– the child is on the blind register or came off it in the last 28 weeks, or
– you receive Disability Living Allowance for that child.
~~~

To be able to be part-paid via Tax Credits a nanny has to be registered. In England, registration is with Ofsted. Are you in England?

Does your employer provide Childcare Vouchers? If so use the HMRC Calculator: Are you better off with Vouchers or Tax Credits?

Please take a look at the above links, then ask specific questions. Include details of which country you are in as things vary between England/Scotland/Wales/NI/Channel Islands.

mulranno Wed 12-Oct-11 13:30:00

OMG - so much to get my head around - looks like I am out for tax credits - as joint family income is too much. Vouchers looks to be the way forward. we are in England and the nanny is ofsted registered. I work freelance - so am the only employee within my ltd company - so I suppose I could "award" vouchers to myself from the company....

nannynick Wed 12-Oct-11 14:55:00

Alas I have no idea how vouchers would work in a very small company. Perhaps contact a voucher company as ask them. A smaller employee benefits company like Fair Care may give you some info and may be already working with very small companies.

mranchovy Wed 12-Oct-11 16:29:35

Talk to your accountant because as a limited company freelancer, the interplay between vouchers and your overall tax setup is not simple.

Voucher companies will know nothing about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now