Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

urgently need night nanny - oxfordshire - family emergency

(8 Posts)
MamaLaMoo Wed 05-Oct-11 20:25:33

My 2yr 10 mo old daughter is in hospital with a very serious eye infection, she could loose her eye. My DH is with her 24hours I am with our 8week old at home and visiting by day. She is having surgery, eye drops every 30 mins all day and night, is in pain and is not responding to treatment. 2 weeks ago the baby was in hospital for a week with severe GORD. We are functioning on automatic pilot and utterly knackered.

I need to get sleep, I need someone to settle baby by night and bring her to me to feed. Family have been fab but cannot be here for overnight Friday 7th October 2011 and saturday 8th October.

Help help help.

nannynick Wed 05-Oct-11 22:50:40

Try also posting on
netmums.com
childcare.co.uk
gumtree.com/oxford

May be worth contacting a local nanny agency to see if they could provide someone or know of someone doing temp work in your area.

Hope your daughter gets better soon, and does not lose her vision.

loopeylu Thu 06-Oct-11 09:11:21

Poor you and your family -

In your shoes, I would pick up the phone immediately to Maternally Yours/Eden Maternity and get a maternity nurse to help - say you need emergency cover and they will always find someone. Cost would be about £130-£150 per 24 hours but frankly, money very well spent indeed. Will free you up to spend time in hospital, knowing your babe is in good hands and also enable you and your husband to get some sleep.

I had a maternity nurse for a bit and honestly, it was a life saver. Brought the baby to me in the night when I fed and then she was whisked away and settled. On some nights, I wasn't woken at all and I just expressed before I went to bed and the MN gave her a bottle when she woke. This didn't have any affect on my supply at all and the odd couple of nights a week doing this should be fine.

Hope that helps.

loopeylu Thu 06-Oct-11 09:13:10

I should add that I don't think you've got time to trawl through gumtree etc. Get straight on to a good maternity nurse agency.

Checkmate Thu 06-Oct-11 10:46:07

Have you found someone yet? If not then PM me as I'm in touch with several excellent nannies (one in Abingdon who can't drive, another in Witney who can) who offer a babysitting service who may be able to help.

Joshuassss Thu 06-Oct-11 19:26:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

MamaLaMoo Fri 07-Oct-11 09:35:39

Thank you all very much for your advice here.

I contacted Eden Maternity and have an emergency 24hour maternity nanny coming today until Sunday. We may keep her on or find someone to take over for a week or so. My DH surprised me by saying he thought this was a good idea.

My DD is finally improving, her eye has started to heal and the infection is reducing after IV antibiotics, injections into her eye, oral antibiotics and 3 types of eye drop! Now we wait to see the infection go and assess the damage and how to repair it, possible corneal graft and more surgery.

RollOnTheMum Fri 07-Oct-11 09:43:39

Hello there, your story has touched me, hope your dear daughter is going to be ok, sounds like things are looking a bit more positive now.
If you are really stuck, I am from Oxfordshire (Chalgrove near Watlington) and could lend a helping hand as Im on maternity leave with my 8 month old DS.
Please get in touch if you need my help. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now