Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I charge once a child starts playschool?

(7 Posts)
CrazyBabies Wed 05-Oct-11 07:39:25

I have a little one starting playschool. 9 - 12 one day a week. I normally only have her for 2 full days. She comes from 8.30 untill 5.30.
I will be dropping her off, collecting , then looking after untill 5.30.
Do I carry on charging my usual rate?, as this is what I have kind of heard. How do I justify it.
What do you do?

Bonsoir Wed 05-Oct-11 07:41:22

You justify charging your daily rate by the fact that this child is occupying a space that cannot be given to another child. Presumably you are also the adult "on call" from playschool if she is ill/has an accident etc?

Bonsoir Wed 05-Oct-11 07:42:53

Personally, I think you can also make an additional charge for drop offs/pick ups as they are a lot of extra work for you - will they involve taking other children with you?

HSMM Wed 05-Oct-11 07:58:09

I would charge a full day. They are still using the space. If they need you in the holidays too, then you definitely can't fill the gap. What if you get there and playschool is turning everyone away (think ill staff or broken boiler), who takes the child? You?

An0therName Wed 05-Oct-11 09:48:46

Its quite standard to charge full rate - and I think the standard NCMA contract says that -as a parent I would not be pleased about an extra charge for drop off as of course you have less work when the child is a playschool which in my view cancels it out

Mum2Luke Wed 05-Oct-11 11:05:21

I would do the same as HSMM - I have had this when a child goes to playgroup and has an accident/is sick and the parent cannot be contacted for some reason so you end up picking the child up and minding them till whatever time they are picked up.

We cannot fill that space while they are at playgroup/school so why shouldn't we be paid? Many of us can offer Nursery education, its the parents who choose to send them to playgroup so they pay - SIMPLES.

I have a term-time only contract so I can only fill a holiday only place which are few and far between as are full-timers these days in our area.

thebody Wed 05-Oct-11 14:16:00

same as above,you are in loco parentis for the minded child at nursery school and cannot fill that place. its standard for most cms and you dont have to justify just explain.

she is probably using the free child care places for over 2s???? so the parents arnt paying anyway so make no change to their budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now