Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny going to pantomime

(20 Posts)
Knackeredmother Tue 04-Oct-11 19:22:07

hypothetical question really as I've already agreed to pay and it's not a great amount but would like some opinions for future!
Nanny asked if I would like her to take my dc to the pantomime as she could get discounted tickets. Sounds lovely, of course I do.
As the conversation carried on it transpired it is her eldest dc school outing and she is also taking her dh and other dc.
Again all fine. But she has said I need to pay for her ticket.
I have agreed but have been thinking that given this outing is primarily for her family and I will be paying petrol and car parking (at least £10 in the city centre) and am obviously paying her to work that day- should she be buying her own ticket?

Knackeredmother Tue 04-Oct-11 19:24:22

Ought to add the panto is during her working hours. I'm not that fussed really as she is a good nanny, more interested in opinions. I wonder if I am a bit harsh in my thinking sometimes.

BeerTricksPotter Tue 04-Oct-11 19:26:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

longjane Tue 04-Oct-11 19:33:03

if it is during working hours you pay ...

annh Tue 04-Oct-11 19:38:00

Tricky, obviously normally you would pay for an outing like this during working hours but in this case, it seems evident that it suits her to have your children attend because this way she gets to accompany her son as well and does not have to take time off work. Really, she should pay for her own ticket but it is difficult for you to decide that now and have to revisit the topic.

dwpanxt Tue 04-Oct-11 19:39:04

What if you had said you preferred your DC not to go to that performance?

Would she still be going with her DH and DC or would they still go without her along with her oldest DCs school?
Whether you ought to pay for her depends on the answer I think.

BridgetBust Tue 04-Oct-11 19:41:32

I think she's being a bit cheeky. It's a family outing that she doesn't want to use up a day's annual leave for. And she wants you to finance part of it.

eurycantha Tue 04-Oct-11 19:43:54

I am a nanny and am taking my two charges to the pantomime,I actually do this at the weekend and also take my mother My boss pays for the childrens tickets but I wouldn t ask her to pay for me .I have to agree with longjane , if I were taking them during working hours my boss would pay for my ticket.

magicOC Tue 04-Oct-11 19:47:27

Erm, this is a family outing for which she would like to be involved in.

She's working and not wanting to take leave, has asked you if you'd mind her taking your DC. She should pay for her ticket without question.

As another poster pointed out, what would she do if you had said NO?

magicOC Tue 04-Oct-11 19:54:54

No, as a nanny myself i'd disagree about the OP paying during work hours. Unless it is something that the OP had arranged. EG

Nanny XXXX my boys are going on an outing to a pantomime with the school, must be christmas season starting soon smile

OP Oh how nice, what are they off to see?

Nanny They are seeing XXXX

OP oh my DC would love that. Would you like to take them?

In this instance (put simply) I would expect OP to pay as she is suggesting nanny taking the DC, nanny is not offering.

Knackeredmother Tue 04-Oct-11 20:00:53

I think if I said no, which I was considering as I've just discovered dh has booked same panto 2 days earlier for us, she would either take leave or not go.

annh Tue 04-Oct-11 20:19:54

So are you going to send your children twice to the same panto now? What will happen if you ask her to cancel theirs and her ticket?

Knackeredmother Tue 04-Oct-11 20:33:03

Well, she only asked me tonight so she hasn't bought tickets yet.
I
Won't say no as I wouldn't want her to miss out on her sons trip, I just wondered whether I ought to be paying for her ticket as well as her very good wages.

eurycantha Tue 04-Oct-11 21:26:32

I would tell her that you have tickets for the show that you were unaware your DH had .I feel that you have a perfect reason to not want your DC to go and hence have to pay twice .you should not have to pay for her ticket if you don`t want your DC to go.I`m sorry but she is meant to be working on that day for you.It`s just unfortunate[not meaning to be harsh to your nanny]that you already have tickets and the situation has changed

sunnydelight Wed 05-Oct-11 00:05:02

I too would explain that as your DH bought tickets your DC will already have seen the show so there is no reason to take your DC again - things have changed since you spoke last. To be nice though you could say that if she wants to go you are prepared to pay for your DC again but there is no reason to pay for her ticket.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 05-Oct-11 00:07:45

unless her dc is in the pantomime, then why does she and dh and other dc need to go - its a school trip - let the school sort them out grin

she is taking your child and working therefore you should pay for her ticket as you agreed for her to go

Laquitar Wed 05-Oct-11 11:23:18

It benefits your dcs and it benefits her aswell. I see it as one of the 'pros' that nannies have. I would pay for the ticket.

PurpleHat Wed 05-Oct-11 11:29:28

Hang on, if your husband has already booked tickets for you as a family to go, do you really still want your child to go again? Will she not be bored?

I would say no- and let her book it as leave and pay for her own ticket, explaining that you already have tickets to go as a family.

Appuskidu Wed 05-Oct-11 11:34:54

I'd make a point of setting a precedent about this to be honest. I wouldn't pay for her ticket-this is somethign she wants to do during her workign hours.

I'd phone and say you don't want your kids to go as DH booked tickets without you knowing as a family.

What did your reply to her?

Appuskidu Wed 05-Oct-11 11:47:57

What did your reply to her?

What was your reply to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now