Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Interviewing/meeting prospective nannies - what should I be asking??

(3 Posts)
Liff Tue 04-Oct-11 13:35:31

Hi there

I am in the process of trying to sort out a p/t nanny to help out with after school care. Both my kids have been through nurseries so this foray into 1 on 1 childcare is quite new to me. I have obviously been asking for references but what shoudl I be asking and looking out for when I meet them?

Any thoughts/advice/experience gratefully received

Thanks

pecanpie Tue 04-Oct-11 14:28:23

A bit about applicant's background - growing up, sisters/brothers, children/nieces/nephews, personal interests/hobbies

Previous work experience/talk through CV - what did these positions involve on a day to day basis?

Experience with children the ages of your child

Can they cook (if expected to)? What would be a typical day's meal plan for an X year old?

Expectations in terms of housework/laundry relevant to children (changing beds, washing, ironing, tidying, cleaning children's spaces and public spaces used by children - e.g. kitchen, emptying dishwasher or washing up). Ask first and confirm what you expect to be done.

Can you: make up baby's bottle, feed a baby, change a baby, bath a baby?

Any experience weaning if relevant?

What would they do with preschooler on a sunny day/rainy day?

How well do they know the area/local activities?

Can they read a story to your child in English? (follow up interview get them to read to child)

What would they do if child needed disciplining - choose a relevant scenario to your child.

Do they have up to date first aid certificate? What would they do in x situation? What do they see as dangers in and outside the home?

Do they drive? Can they fit a car seat correctly (perhaps for follow up interview, I would get them to show you)

Check paperwork required based on their nationality - be aware of what they will need if Romanian/Bulgarian for example and check they have it, otherwise no point in pursuing.

OFSTED registration for childcare vouchers - if they do not have, have they achieved level 2 NVQ in childcare which is baseline for voluntary register? How can you work towards this if you like applicant?

Enhanced CRB check - note this is part of OFSTED reg requirements.

Childcare vouchers - who registered with

Other interviews at the moment

Salary expectations (always negotiable)

Liff Tue 04-Oct-11 22:05:16

Wow. That's really, really helpful. Very much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now