Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny with own child - share petrol?

(5 Posts)
JAT12 Mon 03-Oct-11 21:43:30

Hi,

Help needed asap. Should the family of a hired nanny with own child pay for all the petrol?
If its her car do they still need to pay the 45p a mile wear and tear for the uses if the employers have more children then her and would want her to do the school run ect?

ChippingIn Mon 03-Oct-11 21:48:41

I'd say for trips that only benefit the minded child then the employers pay, but for any trips that are shared enjoyment then paying 50% is right. Of course any that are for the nanny/nanny's child's benefit then the nanny shouldn't claim anything.

nannynick Mon 03-Oct-11 22:16:58

Is there anything in the written statement/contract about travel arrangements?

bbcessex Tue 04-Oct-11 13:41:47

I think it depends on your contract / arrangements.

In my view, the family should pay all associated petrol costs as nanny is still the employee of the family; the fact that she has her own child is (somewhat) irrelevant, as the family have agreed to this arrangement and employed the nanny on this basis.

So; if the nanny were driving her car to do school runs, swimming, park trips, playtrips, etc. then the nanny should claim expenses from the parents as normal, as presumably the nanny is making those trips as part of her duties.

However, if the nanny were taking her own child to eg the doctors whilst her charges were at school or elsewhere then that's her own expense to cover.

This is not relevant in my case, as our nanny is insured to drive our car so we cover all costs that way.

JAT12 Thu 06-Oct-11 19:39:26

Thank you all for the advice. Very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now