Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

foundation degree

(6 Posts)
fudgesmummy Mon 03-Oct-11 19:38:39

Has any one done (or is doing) the foundation degree to enable them to obtain EYPS? I have the level 3 diploma in home based childcare which I did through the NEC and am now looking into studying with the OU.
Any thoughts oh wise childminders???? grin

PigfartsPigfartsHereICome Mon 03-Oct-11 20:27:57

I just started the first year in my course at the OU- will lead to the foundation degree if I keep it up, then onto a degree in early years with or without honours. As a nanny, I'm finding it really difficult as I have never used the curriculum or policies or work with other childcarers.... it is tricky but there are a few nannies and more childminders doing it, alongside many many people working in early years settings.

I've studies with OU before so am used to how it works. I'm finding there is a lot more support on this course than on any of the others I've done- search for the E100 facebook group, there is constantly a stream of conversations asking advice and helping out. And when you sign up there are forums on the OU site too.

I'm only 3 days in officially, so I don't know how it'll go but so far I've learnt a lot about policies and curriculum and laws and stuff. I don't know if I'll continue onto the foundation degree or further, see how the course goes first. I would recommend looking at the financial support options as I was able to get a previous years course funded as I was earning less than their threshold.

HSMM Mon 03-Oct-11 20:43:29

I did the foundation degree and I am hopefully just about to finish BA. I can't face going on to honours, but I have enjoyed the courses. All were with ou.

Just trying to decide about eyps.

Derbys Tue 04-Oct-11 08:25:57

I am currently studying a foundation degree in babies and young children through Wrexham university, it's distance learning. I work as a nanny and have found it very interesting. There are quite a few childminders on the course.

fudgesmummy Tue 04-Oct-11 18:40:11

Thank you for your replys. It all seems so confusing!!!

HoneyPablo Tue 04-Oct-11 18:52:23

I have just finished a foundation degree and graduated with a commendation. It took me 3 years part-time as I work full time in a nursery.
I have just started my top up to BA Hons in Early Childhood which will take me a year (less than that, final deadlins are may). The course maps the EYP standards which I intend to take next year.
There are childminders on the course. I think being better qualified will raise outcomes for everybody. I have learnt so much and developed professionally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now