Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny cover for maternity leave

(5 Posts)
MammyT Sun 02-Oct-11 21:52:18

If looking for a nanny to cover maternity leave, can I set this up as a fixed term contract? I know I can't offer a full-time role obviously but wonder who would actually want this role anyhow from a nanny's point of view.

That aside, is it okay to offer a fixed term contract purely covering the period the nanny is out?

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-11 22:33:07

Yes, I feel you can set it as a fixed term contract - though do you know an end date? If the person on maternity leave does not come back to work, then the contract could be extended and made permanent.

Some nannies who are looking for say a 1 year position before going travelling may want the job.

MammyT Tue 04-Oct-11 21:32:18

Nannynick - I very much appreciate the answer. We're trying to do the right thing of course, but it's all new to us!

cherub59 Tue 04-Oct-11 22:01:45

You can offer a long term temporary contract with a clause that it is till your old nanny returns. I did this and also told new nanny that if old nanny chose not to return (she didn't) then it could become permanent (it has). I got a fab nanny to cover and she is staying on.

Karoleann Tue 04-Oct-11 22:04:09

Yes, of course, its the same as any job to cover maternity leave.
I (when employing Optometrists to cover mat leave) used to advertise for a 6 month contract with the possibility to extend.
I don't think you'll have any problems employing someone as long as its 6 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now