Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

letting off steam

(9 Posts)
maggi Thu 29-Sep-11 21:20:03

Haven't had a good day - foster son troubles - then along came a parent who was outraged that I dared to charge her money for looking after her child. Seriously, she appears to hope I will say "No its okay, I like X so much I would not dream of charging you for my time, driving costs, or food I've provided. No don't worry about the list of fees I have given you or the many reminders I've text to you saying you must pay for all the hours you book"

This is an an adhoc contract for a parent who only needs me for emergencies, training courses etc. I only stipulate that she must give me 48 hours notice of cancellation apart from that I don't complain when she books and unbooks and changes her mind and gives me last minute bookings to pick up from school. I already do 2 different schools but hers is out of my way so I also charge travelling costs. These are normally nominimal fees of rounding up to the nearest pound or maybe 2 just to make a point that the fuel costs me money. For dinners I charge £1.50 for a 3 course meal which is home-cooked. Snacks are included. Trips are included, including entry fees.

This week she had 2 school pickups booked:
One she cancelled just as I was driving into the school road i.e. 5 minutes before I was due to start work for her. She complained that I was unreasonable to charge her anything as she was already waiting in the playground for her daughter when she phoned me. - I tried, I truly did, but I still haven't been able to work out how her beating me to the playground means she wouldn't have to pay?
The second was for today. She booked it last week, cancelled it Tuesday. That was all fine, no charge there. This morn she called again to rebook it and again requested until 8pm as per her original booking. Yesterday I had arranged an emergency fostering meeting for this eve which meant I could not pick up X at the time we had originally agreed but offered to to do an earlier pick up. The parent was put out by this saying we had already arranged a time (think she thought I was being purposefully awkward because she had booked/cancelled/booked). She accepted the earlier time. When she came to collect at 7.15, she was distraught that I should charge until 8pm as she had said 'about 8'.
She has cancelled future bookings and given me notice for being unreasonable.

Now I don't mind her leaving if she can't afford the fees. I was too tired from the fostering troubles (many sleepless nights) to be bothered by her tone. But I am a little put out by her insistence that I'm unreasonable.

Any comments please.

RandomMess Thu 29-Sep-11 21:23:21

Be grateful she's gone, she sounds like a nightmare. I'm a parent not a childcare provider.

She is being completely unreasonable about cancelling last minute and not expecting to pay!

maggi Thu 29-Sep-11 21:36:00

Thank you for reading my great long moan, RandomMess. Writing it was theraputic, very calming.

PigfartsPigfartsHereICome Thu 29-Sep-11 23:02:57

Must be a relief not having to deal with her again!

thunderchild Thu 29-Sep-11 23:09:03

your well shot.

My last childminder was a saint, looking after DD while I was away with the Navy four nights a week. She literally helped save my sanity.

You sound equally accomodating.

I wish there were more like you two out there.

thunderchild Thu 29-Sep-11 23:12:09

and ---- uncharitable that it may well be to do- may I suggest your ex client is- shall we say- a disorganised fruitcake!

Dlamis Thu 29-Sep-11 23:19:23

And when she comes crawling back because she can't find anyone else to meet her unreasonable demands you know what you can say don't you grin

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 29-Sep-11 23:20:46

yy please say no if they pop up again

[flowers]

maggi Sat 01-Oct-11 07:28:01

Thank you for all your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now