Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

'Unregistered' childminding.

(3 Posts)
MittzyTheVixen Wed 28-Sep-11 19:54:00

I have been asked to do some child minding as a 'friend', as I know the children and their situation.

I did a small amount a few years ago and rang SS who said at the time that you could do up to 2 hrs a day as an unregistered minder, and plan to ring again.

I do not actually want to do it as the whole situation is putting me in a difficult position, but would also like to have a 'legitimate' reason for terminating their request.

I said yes to one term, as the 'friends' were in a tight spot, but suspect they are hoping I will extend it, I am a bit crap at explaining that I simply don't wish to continue as I am getting dragged into something far out of my depth.

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-11 20:43:12

Assuming you are in England (if you are not, please say in which country you live)

Legislation that may be useful, or may not be useful: This one is about doing childcare for a friend
This one is about the less than 2 hours a day

Ofsted have published a factsheet:
Registration not required

Not sure if that will help with providing a legitimate reason for terminating their request though, as I don't feel you have said exactly what their request is.

Do you need e legitimate reason though... if you don't want to do it, say No. It's hard to do I know but if you are to remain friends you need to feel that you are not being taken advantage of, which is something you may be feeling at the moment.

MittzyTheVixen Wed 28-Sep-11 22:32:47

Thanks nannynick.. I don't really want to go into details because they are personal to them IYSWIM..

No, I shouldn't need anything to back up my reasons but I am a bit spineless, when I expressed my initial reservations I was politely 'talked out' of them.. putting it into writing might help as I can be clear without losing the ability to speak coherently.
I do feel compromised... I should get assertiveness coaching....

Thanks though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now