Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

:( Being redundant yesterday. Can I withdraw DS from CM immedaitly without further pay?

(9 Posts)
2wamama Wed 28-Sep-11 16:35:20


NickNacks Wed 28-Sep-11 16:37:12

What does your contract say? I would say no as usually it requires 4 weeks notice and redundancy would not alter that.

What notice have youbeen given of your redundancy?

2wamama Wed 28-Sep-11 16:39:09

immediately. I am leaving the job next Mon.

LIZS Wed 28-Sep-11 16:44:13

They have to pay you in lieu of notice though, at very least, and any accrued holiday. Sorry but most cm's will have a notice period in the contract, on either side.

2wamama Wed 28-Sep-11 16:46:01

Thanks for replying! just checked contract says 2 weeks. But in the 2 weeks if I have to pay Ican I still send ds over to her?

LIZS Wed 28-Sep-11 16:49:35

definitely , use to time to sign on and look for other jobs.

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-11 16:55:55

Whilst your work is making you redundant that does not mean you can withdraw your childcare from the childminder immediately without incurring a financial penalty. The contract you have with your childminder will set out the terms for terminating that agreement. It can often have a 4 week notice period, it may be more, it may be less. Please find the contract you were given when you started using the service provided by your childminder and read it carefully.

Discuss thing with your childminder. Tell them what is happening. Keeping them informed means they can plan ahead and may be able to help you. You never know they may have someone who is eager to take your child's place and thus they might agree to a shorter notice period.

What about job hunting... are you not planning to continue working at all? Taking your child to job interviews would not be good, so having someone to provide childcare may well help.

If you have been in your current job more than 2 years, then you are probably entitled to redundancy pay. That pay may or may not cover the notice period you will need to pay to your childminder.

If you fail to pay your childminder what is contractually owed to them, they are able to pursue you via the court system for repayment of that debt.

Please talk to your childminder and tell them what is happening. You never know they may agree to negotiate a settlement figure in respect of the notice period. They don't have to do so but there is no harm in telling them how great their service is, how wonderful you have found it, write them a glowing reference, be available to chat to parents who are considering using their service, and generally being helpful to the childminder to fill your child's place. You never know the childminder may take pity on you and if they are able to fill your child's place quickly, negotiate a smaller settlement figure.

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-11 16:59:13

Oh x-posted there...

>in the 2 weeks if I have to pay Ican I still send ds over to her?

2 weeks, you are lucky that's quite short.

Yes, send DS over. Spend the time job hunting, networking with people in the industry, even planning your financial future by researching what financial help you can get if you don't get another job.

Talk you your childminder. Give notice IN WRITING, so the 2 week notice period can start. Tell them that you will continue to send your son whilst you job hunt during the notice period.

2wamama Thu 29-Sep-11 12:15:58

Thanks to nannynick. Indeed I kept the news until this morning as yesterday was CM's birthday, did not want to spoil it. I talked to her this morning, she kindly agreed to terminate the contract from next week. I mentioend I would need her help while in job-hunting, and I would send ds back to her if i find something. etc. She dpes have a child on the waiting list.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now