Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

quich advice needed- about to meet an aupair friend-of-a-friend for emergency childcare

(3 Posts)
cheeseandmarmitesandwich Wed 28-Sep-11 11:04:41

I work weekends and DH, who usually looks after the kids on weekends is away on a family holiday with DD1 (long story but work wouldn't give me the time off to go). So I am home alone with 15 mo DD2. My friend who was supposed to look after her on the weekens let me down at the last minute - got through last weekend with the help of friends and neighbours but now I have noone else to ask!

So, my neighbour who is Polish said she knows a Polish girl working locally as an au pair who could help. She's coming round in a bit so I can meet her.

I have no idea what I should ask her, or what I should offer to pay! Should I ask to speak to her current employer for a reference? I feel very nervous at the thought of a virtual stranger coming into the house to look after DD2 but I really have very few options now confused.

nannynick Wed 28-Sep-11 12:57:07

Ask about their experience caring for children. Ask them about what things they would do with your daughter during the day.

Consider what you feel is reasonable to pay keeping in mind that it needs to be worth their while coming. They may well have a figure in mind themselves, so ask them and try to come to an agreement.

Do ask if it's ok to speak with their current employer.

cheeseandmarmitesandwich Wed 28-Sep-11 21:51:17

Thanks for the advice, she seemed really nice, has lots of experience and DD really took to her so it's all worked out ok smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now