Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Need CM recommendations for a double buggy

(8 Posts)
sydenhamhiller Tue 27-Sep-11 13:24:17

Hi - I'm hoping you experienced CMs might be able to help. I have had a 23 month old and 22 month old since they were one, and we've been very happy with the Phil and Ted.

However, I'm just about to have an 11 month old start with me: and it's a bit too far to get the 23 month old to walk the school run there-and-back, so I was all prepared and got a double umbrella-style buggy (Century) and a buggy board, and felt very pleased with myself...

Well, pride comes before a fall! Have taken the double buggy out on the school run and it's a nightmare! In very good condition, so think it's the style, not a problem with this particular one. Find the handles quite low, so not great for the back (I'm 5 ft 8), and the front middle wheel just gets stuck, and can't move buggy forward....Aiiiiiiii!

So, before I waste more money on double buggies that don't do the biz, I thought I'd ask for some recommendations. Should I just have waited for a Maclaren to come up on ebay grin)

Thanks in advance.

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 27-Sep-11 14:06:54

Hmmmm tricky one. Im a cm and could too with a buggy board on my maclaren twin pushchair. However, the twin pushchair without a board is not very sturdy. It's quite flimsy (even with a 12m and 18m) in. It's been repaired once already and isn't even a year old. So I don't really recommend them.

Many cm's in my area swear by the 'out and about' twin pushchair. It kooks much sturdier and up to the job. I think umbrella styles are ok for light use, not for 2 or 3 trips everyday if you see what I mean. Baby jogger twin also good if you can source one! Im on the look out as u have no faith that my mclaren isn't going to last too much longer!

Not sure how helpful this is - sorry!!

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Tue 27-Sep-11 14:08:33

Sorry for typos - am on the phone. You get my drift though!

minderjinx Tue 27-Sep-11 14:10:00

I don't think any of the umbrella fold type doubles and buggy boards really work regardless of the make or price; they are just not sturdy and rigid enough, and you really need sprung suspension and pneumatic tyres with that much weight on board. I would either get a triple jogger stroller or a use tandem buggy with the buggy board.

sydenhamhiller Wed 28-Sep-11 18:28:12

Minderjinx, starting to think you have a good point...did dummy school run run today with one 2 yr old walking, the other in phil and ted. Worked fine, might just manage with P &T and one walking- ESP if one walks there, the other walks back... Hmmm, we'll see.

Any other experiences welcomed!

LesbianMummy1 Wed 28-Sep-11 18:44:29

I use mothercare side by side with seat to go buggyboard and it's fine but I am lot shorter only 5 foot. May be worth knowing the buggypod attaches to p&t as does this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bibi-Swiss-Strolli-Rider-alternative-Buggy-Board-/180728975082?pt=UK_Baby_Pushchair_Accessories_parts_ET&hash=item2a14494eea

hennipenni Wed 28-Sep-11 19:48:16

I use a baby jogger city mini double with a buggy board without any problems. The buggy is very sturdy and easy to push and the handle is the right height for me. I would recommend this buggy and is definatly worth the money.

hennipenni Wed 28-Sep-11 19:49:04

P.S I'm 5 foot 7 too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now