Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny with own child

(7 Posts)
marthamydear Mon 26-Sep-11 22:41:26

Hello,

I am an experienced nanny with 14 years experience and NNEB - I had a little boy in April and will have to return to work in the New Year and I was wondering what kind of salary I could ask for, with taking my son to work with me?

Any nannies out there experienced this work set up? Or parents?

I'm in North London and was on a good (highest market rate) salary before I left work for maternity.

Thanks in advance

Tarenath Tue 27-Sep-11 08:18:07

Hiya,

I'm a NWOC. I don't have anywhere near your experience so can't comment on my salary compared to yours. The general consensus seems to be that the nanny should take a 10%-25% pay cut compared to nanny without child.

There's several things you need to take into consideration if you want to bring your child to work.

Parenting styles, who will pay/provide food for your child? what if one of the children is doing a paid activity/class. What happens with the other child/ren? Once the child is older, what happens with preschool/school? Also, what if your child is ill? There's probably other things but that's off the top of my head.

It happens to work very well with my current family because we share similar parenting views and live close to each other so we're in the same catchment area for schools. I'm also lucky enough to have permanent emergency childcare in place, and someone willing to take my ds to activities when I can't.

redglow Tue 27-Sep-11 09:52:33

I have always took my children with me to work. I always got paid the same but my children very much had to fit in with them. My child had to watch them do swimming lessons but mine would do theirs on my day off. It can work really well. It always worked for me, I used to take the snacks and yogurtas in for everybody.

I also had my mum up the road if mine were ill or did not want to come.

marthamydear Tue 27-Sep-11 22:28:22

Thanks for info ladies

lizzie83 Mon 03-Oct-11 14:01:22

Wow it's really good to hear such success stories. In my current role I took my 2 year old with me some days but it hasn't worked out and now have to pay a child minder and a separate nursery to have him while I'm at work. The children hated him touching their things and so obviously he wasn't contented with his own toys so had terrible tantrums. It just nice to hear it can work.

bbcessex Mon 03-Oct-11 21:25:39

Hi there, I've had two nannies who have brought along their own child; I've found it fantastic.

We have before and after school nanny requirements, approx 25 hours a week. The part time hours seem to have suited both our nannies as they could still go to mum and toddler groups, their little ones could nap during the day etc.

We've had no shortage of applicants both times - all mums with a young baby or a toddler. My children are junior school aged, and love little ones, so that has helped.

We've tried to make it easy - we've got a high chair now, travel cot, stair gate etc. for our nanny's toddler, and we accept that our nanny has responsibility for both our children AND her own. We also keep toys here, and buy in some basic toddler type foods.

Works brilliantly - as we only need part time hours, I think 'working mum nannies' seem to be the way to go.

bbcessex Mon 03-Oct-11 21:38:50

Forgot to answer your original question, sorry!! We are in the South East, and pay approx £11.50 per hour gross.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now