Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

aibu to be upset.

(7 Posts)
MogandMe Mon 26-Sep-11 13:57:57

I have worked as a nanny for my current employer for 2 years next week. After much discussion earlier this year it was agreed that I would do some proffessional development training whilst DC attended pre-school for funded sessions. I had been offered a full time place but agreed to do part time as my boss has a complicated work situation and I would prefer to keep earning etc.

I have been accepted on to a course and despite having 11 weeks to write my reference I have just been emailed by the course administrator chasing up my reference. I have asked MB several times over the last 11 weeks to write it, I have written one myself of which she would need to adjust and sign but... yet 2 days before I start my course I/the course have yet to recieve anything.

I work hard in my job often doing PP and a lot of 24 hour cover with little or no notice and have been fine with this but feel that this reference is the sticking point and I can't work for someone who categorically said they understood why I wanted/need to do the training, letting me give up a f/t place to go p/t to not even write me a reference.

WIBU to hand in my resignation on Monday if she hasn't written my reference by my start date to go and do a course full time instead.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Mon 26-Sep-11 14:26:01

why is it up to your boss what course you do .
You are an adult surely its your decision what course you take up. ...make a decision and go do it.

annh Mon 26-Sep-11 14:31:41

Wakeup did you read the OP's post properly? She HAS chosen a course she wants to do but cannot start that course until she gets a reference from her current employer!

MogandMe Mon 26-Sep-11 14:34:14

Yes I am an adult and that is why I chose to do a p/t course and keep working instead of doing f/t and amass debts.

However to do the P/t course (which means she continues to have a nanny) I NEED a reference from my boss, which she said she was happy to provide, as it means consistancy for the child, she doesn't need to find new childcare etc. However she hasn't written the reference.

So I have 3 days until I'm supposed to start the part time course having given up the full time course I was accepted on to get a reference off her or to write a letter of resignation and hope that I can get onto the f/t course which I probably can't now.

annh Mon 26-Sep-11 14:36:40

I would tall your boss that you must have the reference TODAY or you will be forced to immediately resign so that you can take up a full time course instead. She's not to know that you probably can't get on to the full time course now and hopefully will just pull her finger out and get the reference sorted.

fraktious Mon 26-Sep-11 17:22:33

I agree. Tell her you need the reference or you'll be resigning, contact the college and explain the situation - they should be able to accommodate your situation.

Would they accept a copy of your contract as proof of employment and a work-related ref from someone else or does it specifically require your employer's consent?

lesstalkmoreaction Tue 27-Sep-11 10:21:51

Give the college contact information so they can call her and get a verbal reference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: