Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Could I childmind?

(9 Posts)

I left my job at a nursery when I had DS. I have a level 2 in childcare but was considering childminding. Only problem is I have a 2 bed council flat. Would u consider this a problem to starting to childmind? Snobbishness aside please!!!

MaryPoppinsMagic Sun 25-Sep-11 20:27:43

I have just finished my registration as a childminder, anyone can do childminding subject to crb and passing checks etc

Ofsted say if your in a flat you need to have a plan of action which shows you will take the children out every day for fresh air. You also have to be considerate of neighbours. Do you have any who work nights that may be disturbed by children you may mind?

MaryPoppinsMagic Sun 25-Sep-11 20:27:44

I have just finished my registration as a childminder, anyone can do childminding subject to crb and passing checks etc

Ofsted say if your in a flat you need to have a plan of action which shows you will take the children out every day for fresh air. You also have to be considerate of neighbours. Do you have any who work nights that may be disturbed by children you may mind?

No one works nights that I know of. There's lots of groups nearby to go to, park outside and library down the road. Just a bit wary of no one wanting a childminder living in a council place!!

redglow Sun 25-Sep-11 20:39:16

I am sure the way house prices have gone this will be common. Most younger people will not be able to afford to buy. This would not put me off

That's a relief!! I make all my kids meals from scratch, we do all sorts of activities from painting to cooking etc etc and I don't drink or smoke. I'm hoping the council thing won't put people off!! Would need to re-decorate though I think as the slightly chipped paint in the bathroom might not scream 'hire me!!'

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 25-Sep-11 20:50:11

you need to do the maths first

the big money is in the under 5s group, you can usually have up to 3 under 5s including your own child/ren

tallwivglasses Sun 25-Sep-11 21:27:34

Interesting thread. I know a couple of childminders in small flats who have waiting lists - so I'm sure you'll be fine, 1more.

Parents are more concerned about reliability, safety, quality, etc rather than plush surroundings. If you have a cramped space you're more likely to take the children out and about, aren't you?

ChitChattingWithKids Sun 25-Sep-11 23:30:04

Well it depends - if it was on a large estate that wasn't looked after very well by the council then I wouldn't use you, I'm afraid. But if the area was quite nice and convenient then I would investigate.

But... if other CMs in your area have houses with large back gardens then I'm afraid I would go to them first.

My CM goes out and about quite a bit, but when the DC are feeling tired at the end of the day it's nice to know they can be at hers but can go outside in her back garden and play outside a bit more after tea if it's nice weather.

If it's only a 2 bed flat, where would you keep any extra equipment (double buggy?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now