Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Standard babysitter rate?

(15 Posts)
WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-11 16:27:27

Does anyone know the standard for an adult babysitter? I'm guessing 6 an hour would be ok?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 23-Sep-11 17:08:14

totally varies on area/exp etc

i charge £10 - have done for years - tempted to put it up as get lots of work, but tbh im happy to charge £10

£6 is what sitters use and to me seems very low

many friends charge £8

i had a mum call me yesterday asking if i was free to bs sat, i said no but could recommend a friend but the lady didnt want to pay more then £6 as thats what she usually pays (to a unqualified youngster) and i said that myself and none of my friends would bs for that

apotomak Fri 23-Sep-11 17:24:57

I charge £5 I'm a registered childminder, fully insured for babysitting, CRBd etc. I'm in CR3. I guess it depends where you live. In my area there is no real call for sitters not many people have money to go out and pay a sitter.

loladola Fri 23-Sep-11 18:39:53

I have just been quoted £10 an hour from a babysitter who does not even have to put my two to bed. Just for sitting there was going to cost me £40 from 730 - 1130. If she was being asked to read stories etc then maybe but for no other requests I feel this is rather steep for cash in hand no tax! Have cancelled her.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-11 19:16:17

It seems to vary enormously! I paid a babysitter last year and she was £7 and she is qualified like you apotomak. So I assumed a bit less for just a regular adult babysitter. Where do you all live?

loladola Fri 23-Sep-11 19:18:29

i am near manchester

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-11 19:23:37

That is more then I would have expected for Manchester loladola.

chickadee87 Fri 23-Sep-11 20:16:33

I charge £8 per hour and i am qualified/first aid trained. We are still working, have a responsibility. I can agree that i do sit and watch tv etc BUT if if your child need immediate medical attention, then a qualified and experienced babysitter is most suited to that.

Im in north london.

eurycantha Sat 24-Sep-11 11:23:49

Hi Blondes ,
I think people have to consider what can happen to your children and house while you are out.[I get £8 an hour] I`m nearr Blondes .I have in my time baby sitting had several powercuts,many children being sick/ill,Someone trying to break in while I had 5 children,and several burglar alarms going off .My boss had an 18 year old baby -sitting for my charges one day when I wasn`t able to,and one of the girls was sick the baby sitter had to ring her mum to come over because she didn`t know what to do. An older ,more experienced sitter hopefully has some idea what to do in an emergency .

Nospringflower Sat 24-Sep-11 11:32:38

I'm in Edinburgh and our babysitter is a nursery nurse and charges £7 per hour which seems fine to me smile

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Sun 25-Sep-11 08:53:49

eurycantha I agree! I never understand why so many people say on here that I should just get a local teenager or daughter of one of my neighbours etc. It's such a responsibility! At that age I wouldn't have known what to do in the majority of tricky situations.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 25-Sep-11 11:20:12

true, tho generally there isnt a fire/child with nightmare/sick etc and 99% of my jobs i do literally sit on my bum and watch tv for 4/5/6hrs

but guess its the 1% that some parents are happy to pay for

as i said i cant charge too much at £10 as i get tons of babysitting work and often pass it on to my friends if i cant do it

redglow Sun 25-Sep-11 15:39:32

I once babysat and the couple both got arrested and had to end up staying all night. Then there was a powercut, then there was the child being sick, I would not have been happy for my teenage child dealing with this. Like blondes said its fine most of the time but there is always the odd time when the unexpected happens.

Karoleann Sun 25-Sep-11 18:56:11

I pay £7-£8/hour for babysitting. I'm in North London.

RitaMorgan Sun 25-Sep-11 19:00:50

I pay £6.50 for a senior nursery nurse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now