Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you have any advice about nannies for a newborn?

(9 Posts)
roadrunnerbeepbeep Fri 23-Sep-11 11:50:50

I might have to go back to work part time (2/3) days when my little one is only 6 weeks old. Has anyone else hired a nanny for such a small person? Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? And what rate should I expect to pay (I am in Scotland.) Dad will be working from home those days so although the nanny will have sole charge there will be a parent around most of the time.

sailorsgal Fri 23-Sep-11 16:59:35

You will need to find someone with newborn experience of course. I would love a job like this as I work as a maternity nurse but normally have to be away all week which is not ideal. Is this your first baby? Don't underestimate how you will feel at this point. You will feel exhausted and find it very difficult to leave such a little one but if you have to work then so be it.

Ring a couple of agencies to see what is out there. I am on the South Coast and charge around the £10 mark. I am self employed as I change families regularly but you may have to pay tax and NI on top if this is a permanent position as they will be an employee.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 23-Sep-11 17:04:45

last 2 jobs i had new borns - first was 5 weeks old when started and last job no 3 was born into job so i had her from day 2 when she came home from hospital

obv new born experience is essential - i dont know rates in scotland - but maybe £9gross and you may find that some nannies are put off having a parent work from home and you need to set rules

ie if baby cried , then daddy doesnt rush in

Cacacaz Fri 23-Sep-11 18:47:12

Im a nanny in Scotland, you should expect to pay between £7.50 -£9.50 per hour (gross), there are however some nannies I know that earn £10 per hour gross, this is for very experienced nannies and generally part time postions pay more.

Agree with blondes re the fact the some candidates will be put off with a parent working from home.

Are you planning to use an agency or advertise on your own?

cakeoholic Fri 23-Sep-11 23:36:13

Are you looking to have a short term nanny or will it be a permanent position?

I'd say you should expect to pay a minimum of £8.50 an hour, I know my qualified, experienced friends who have taken on jobs in the central belt recently are both getting more than that though.

I'm a nanny in Glasgow, not sure where in Scotland you are but there seems to be fewer jobs around at the minute, especially through agencies, parents seem to prefer going by word of mouth as it saves money and they can get a personal recommendation.

I know at least two of the three main agencies have (had?) stopped taking new nannies on their books as they are not getting enough jobs in. There are pros and cons to this situation.

What I would say is you need someone who you can trust with your baby whether your dh is there or not. I would not take on a job where the parent works from home, I agree with blondes that lots of nannies would feel this way.

My biggest bits of advice would be that when you interview potential nannies you let them hold your little one and see how she interacts and to get on with your nanny! Seems obvious but worth saying. If you just click, find her easy to talk to, have a good feeling etc it goes a long way!

Good luck

nannynick Sat 24-Sep-11 06:22:00

She? They might be having a baby boy! grin

I would suggest deciding how many days you will be working, thus how many hours you need childcare. These days nannies will work varity of different hours but in my view a job applicant will want to know what the hours of work will be, so they can see if it will fit with their other commitments.

Agree a Gross salary as the nanny may well have other income, thus already may be using their personal tax allowance in another job.

You will probably be wanting someone with baby experience but keep in mind that such experience could me many years ago - as the nanny may have worked for a family for many years and the baby has now started school. You may be wanting a nanny long term, so a nanny who has cared for children over a period of several years could be your ideal employee - as they will have cared for a baby, toddler/pre-schooler, school age child and dealt with their differing needs as the child got older.

Consider distance from your home, especially how they will be getting to your home in Winter. Do you get snowed in at your location? Consider how far it is reasonable for someone to commute in your area. You want a nanny who is reliable, a good timekeeper.

roadrunnerbeepbeep Sat 24-Sep-11 20:12:13

Thanks all. Very useful, particularly on rates.

I did employ a nanny for DD1, but she was somewhat older when I went back to work so a bit different.

Very interesting about nannies being put off about having a parent at home. I have to say that I find that a bit worrying though. I guess it works both ways though as I wouldn't be comfortable employing someone who was unhappy at having a homeworking parent around.

ps. it is a baby girl btw!

nbee84 Sat 24-Sep-11 20:40:36

Can be quite innocent reasons for preferring parents to be out at work -

I have a terrible singing voice so sing less if the parents are around grin

I love acting silly with the children, ie pretending to be a monster or a fairy and feel a bit self concious if I'm viewed blush

If the parent is working I feel I have to keep the children quiet/er

Sometimes chatting away with the parents is a distraction for me and I don't concentrate fully on what I am doing ie forgetting the chicken is under the grill, not responding immeadiately to a toddler that has whispered they need the potty

I do work with the parents around at times, but much prefer it when they are at work.

cakeoholic Sun 25-Sep-11 01:03:50

Roadrunner I used to be a nanny for a family where the dad worked shifts so would often be around a lot in the day. He used to wander around in boxers and a t shirt, he never wiped the surfaces or put away his lunch things in the kitchen making more work for me and he'd give them biscuits while I was cooking dinner. He would do work from home sometimes and would then want the children to be quiet/leave him alone while he was on the phone etc too but they never understood when this was or why. I could go on. For a number of pages! I think most nannies have similar stories.

In my current job my bosses are lovely and are out at work 99% of time and say I am in charge until I walk out of the door which makes life so much easier and things clearer for the kids. I think that's uncommon, though it is part of the reason why I am still there 6 years later!

I think you are imagining sinister reasons for a nanny not wanting a parent to be around but actually I think it's because we can do a better job when they are not there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now