Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Finding a childminder

(10 Posts)
Maia290 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:21:09

Could anybody advise me of how I can find a childminder without having to pay a subscription fee to a website?
I live in Berrylands/Surbiton and I am looking for a childminder from the start of next year.

RitaMorgan Wed 21-Sep-11 23:02:25

Call the council or the Family Information Service and ask for a list.

gosiajm Thu 22-Sep-11 13:38:46

gumtree, google: childminder in (postcode)...

anewyear Thu 22-Sep-11 13:40:14

Your local Childrens Center may have a list?
And I thought I read somewhere, cant remember where tho, that primary schools hold lists of childminders too?

oranges Thu 22-Sep-11 13:45:44

Your local council should have a list. Or search through the OFSTED website.

squinker45 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:45:21

ofsted website no good as contact details, names and addresses are not on there. It's local council for a list. FIS have just inexplicably removed their search tool unfortunately.

An0therName Thu 22-Sep-11 15:53:40

your local coucil may have a service - its not called FIS anymore
or ask about at toddler groups etc

RitaMorgan Thu 22-Sep-11 17:59:19

I think it still is FIS - it is where I am anyway!

You should be able to find details of all the local FIS here - www.familyinformationservices.org.uk/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userslist&listid=7&Itemid=72

vez123 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:04:30

I found our lovely childminder through a recommendation after wading through council lists. Wherever you go don't be afraid to ask people if they know someone. This is what i did and our childminder was not even on any council lists or websites because she did not need to.

Dozer Fri 23-Sep-11 15:56:02

The council lists (where I am anyway) are shite, they only have people with current vacancies, send reams of . Childcare.co.uk was good for us, but you do have to pay, think it's £20 for 3 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now