Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale (FCCERS)

(16 Posts)
LesbianMummy1 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:13:35

Do any of you use this is so is it helpful?

KatyMac Wed 21-Sep-11 17:18:44

Not a clue what it is - can you link it?

LesbianMummy1 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:29:13

afraid not as only have flier from ncma in our area this is what it says:

What is it? Family Child Care Rating Scale (FCCERS) is a quality rating scale. It enables a childminder to demonstrate their practice and reflect on where you are and recognise the strengths of your childminding setting. It also enables you to identify areas were you can
professionally develop and reflect your progress in line with Ofsted and set targets for future development.
Who is it for? For all childminders who want to demonstrate their professional status to Ofsted, other professionals and parents. It is recognised that more parents are looking at
OFSTED reports and grades when choosing a childminder and FCCERS is an excellent way to ensure that you are consistently providing a very professional service. It helps you to write an effective Self Evaluation Form (SEF) and be fully prepared for your OFSTED visit, supporting you in maintaining and raising your grade.

but googled it and not much wiser

nannynick Wed 21-Sep-11 17:37:49

Is it the green book thing - here ?

KatyMac Wed 21-Sep-11 18:02:31

Do we have to buy it?

LesbianMummy1 Wed 21-Sep-11 18:20:42

not sure nannynick that's what came up when I googled it

no idea KatyMac we have three training sessions first next week so may enquire more

zandy Wed 21-Sep-11 18:41:59

http://ers.fpg.unc.edu/

This might be useful.

zandy Wed 21-Sep-11 18:42:17

ers.fpg.unc.edu/

LesbianMummy1 Wed 21-Sep-11 19:07:58

Thanks Zandy

alibubbles Thu 22-Sep-11 17:43:51

Hi katymac, We have to do it instead of our county quality assurance scheme. No one wants to do it, it is so invasive, two people come for hours and pick through every book title, every toy, etc, like Ofsted but 6 hours long!

I'd rather have Ofsted anyday smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 22-Sep-11 18:07:59

urgh Ali, what a nightmare

mranchovy Thu 22-Sep-11 22:17:57

Oh it's American. I may not think much of Ofsted but at least I can complain about them to my MP and respond to consultation regarding changes to guidance, policy, structure etc. I can't have any influence over the University of North Carolina.

Now I am not usually one for gossip and hearsay, but does FCCERS really require all children to be supervised while using the toilet (though presumably they call it the bathroom sad)?

babybaabaa Fri 23-Sep-11 09:20:12

I certainly would not want anyone else picking through my practice and resources on a fccers observation visit. I have however bought the book from amazon and systematically thought about all the areas myself. It was a very very helpful tool but best kept to be used by the childminder themselves I think. I know and want the best for my own business far better than any development worker, so can think deeper into anything and how it can be added to how I work or adapted.

stomp Fri 23-Sep-11 19:45:44

I’ve heard of it, not in my county but childminders in other areas- horrendous and unrealistic for most childminders working in a home environment.

alibubbles Sat 24-Sep-11 13:58:30

Good post babybaabaa I have the books too, and have used them in the same manner.

Some childminders started it,but were heavily criticised for not having all resources available at all times, ie:- water play and sand play must be available everyday, as must the outdoor area and toys.

Childminders will never score highly enough in the scales, so many found it a disappointing reflection of their practice.

LesbianMummy1 Sat 24-Sep-11 17:30:01

Thank you everybody have decided to not bother with the training I may go to the briefing but it seems what I expected is right it's just more pointless paperwork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now