Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pls Help me....childcare options for on call midwife...au pair?? overnight childcare??

(3 Posts)
siddles Wed 21-Sep-11 13:42:01

Hi there, I really need some advice on my best options for overnight childcare.
Basically, I live in Croydon, I am a single mother to 3 boys, aged 2, 7 and 9.
I work full time as a community midwife and I have to cover between 5-6 on calls a month, which sometimes include a Saturday night.

In terms of my requirements, my 2 yr old goes to nursery full time and the older boys attend an after school club until 1630. Therefore I would only require help from the au pair should I get called out in the night, as she would need to bring the children to nursery and school. I could also do with the occasional babysitting now and then.

I am however slightly reluctant to have an au pair, as obviously they would be living with us 24/7. It would also mean that I would have to shuffle the boys bedrooms around to free up a room for her.

So that then makes me wonder whether I should consider an overnight babysitter (if they exist??), who would also be able to bring them to school and nursery in the event that I am called out. If I went for this option, would a sofa bed in the lounge be appropriate? and what are the fees likely to be??

I would really appreciate it if anybody that has been in a similar situation to me could give me some advice on the matter.

Thanks in advance

Claire

nannynick Wed 21-Sep-11 16:38:32

How much advance notice do you get for being called out? Are you on-call only during set days, set hours?

Ilovebagsandbruuuce Thu 22-Sep-11 15:48:55

Some child minders offer overnight care. This would mean them staying there overnight though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now