Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parents are late every day - where do I stand?

(14 Posts)
kirsty12321 Wed 21-Sep-11 11:27:55

I started a thread about thinking the parents I work for were taking the Mick a bit with what they've expected of me, this has been sorted and my contract re written for a more appropriate work load,

However they are now late EVERY day and it's really starting to piss me off now, so far this month I've done 9 hours over time, so averaging 3 hours a week. They never call or text to say they will be late/ they're stuck in traffic/ couldn't actually be bothered to put the kids to bed so just wanted me to do it, or whatever their reason is.

They also never apologise or give a reason for being late when they do return and just get the kids to say bye and tell me I can leave, which ever one of them it is. I hardly ever see MB as she commutes so it's just a 5 min handover in the morning with her. It's just starting to piss me off now,

I recently found out I was pregnant and told my boss very early (7 weeks) to explain why I might be being sick, but I'm 16 weeks now and currently haven't had any time off (pregnancy related or otherwise) and I've arranged scans and midwife appointments around my work schedule to help the parents as much as possible.
It's got me thinking that theyre they're just a bit pissed off with me because I'm pregnant? 
I wouldn't mind covering the odd 10 to 15 mins but not everynight unpaid and with no notice and apology, 
Ive spoken to MB and explained DB is late everyday and she has stated they will grant me time off in leui (as is stated by my contract) do I just give her a invoice of my hours when I give her my expense receipts at the end of every month? She gets quite pissy if I ever want to book holiday or ask for time off that's why I'm worried about how to bring it up with her? 

Sorry for the long post I'm just a bit lost with what to say or if this is
Normal, which I guess it isn't! 

Flisspaps Wed 21-Sep-11 11:52:51

Do you have a late fees policy (you should!) - if so, then tell them that you are implementing it for all children, and then add the late fees on to the next months invoice, rather than time off in lieu.

This is your business, you dictate the terms, not them. They are not your bosses, they are clients.

KatyMac Wed 21-Sep-11 11:58:35

Umm Nanny or Childminder?

kirsty12321 Wed 21-Sep-11 12:24:16

Nanny, sorry!

KatyMac Wed 21-Sep-11 12:39:13

Then you need to talk contracts I think, yes let er know in writing where you are at (not my area of expertise, sorry)

Flisspaps they are her bosses as she is a Nanny

thebody Wed 21-Sep-11 14:47:04

yes you need nannynicks advice, for my part I think they are very inconsiderate and rude, poor you having to deal with that crap every day.

Flisspaps Wed 21-Sep-11 15:04:23

KatyMac I see that now, but from her first post I assumed she was a CM, I managed to miss the bit where MB told her she could leave grin

Flisspaps Wed 21-Sep-11 15:04:45

*when she returns from work I mean!

kelly2000 Wed 21-Sep-11 16:28:29

Talk to them about it, and everyday when they are late home get them to sign a "hours in lieu receipt".
Also in most jobs , I am not sure how it works if you are self employed in this manner however, you can take time off for pregnancy related illness and doctors appoitnments and it does not count against you, you also get at least stat. or ordinary maternity leave.
However if they do unfairly fire you, you are the one who has to take them to a tribunal which woudl nto be easy.

kirsty12321 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:43:30

I am still entitled to 'reasonable leave for pregnancy related appointments' but I have so far arranged stuff so I dont have to rush around in the middle of the day, I feel this benefits the parents more than me because they haven't had to cover anything due to my pregnancy!

I will write down my hours and when I finish for the rest of this month and pass it on to MB and then will suggest a diary for either parent to sign to say when I finish and to tot up hours on a weekly or monthly basis?

nannynick Wed 21-Sep-11 17:50:57

Keep a timesheet/log. Will you actually get "hours in lieu" ? Could you request that they pay overtime (rounding up to a suitable time, such as 20/30 mins) at a pay rate which you mutually agree. Suggest to them that if your working hours are to be different to those agreed in the contract, that you would be prepared to have the contract amended to reflect the revised working hours (with the pay being adjusted accordingly - so saving them paying the higher overtime rate).

It is a pain when parents are constantly late back home. The rare occasion is to be expected (especially if commuting via rail) but a good employer will try to compensate for that either with overtime pay or giving time off at a later date, possibly the next day if they can get home early then.

Talk to them in whatever method best suits you and your bosses (some parents like things done via e-mail for example, rather than a meeting with children running about). If the late arrival home is something that is likely to be happening now long term... then a chance to the contract is needed I feel to reflect the true working hours.

nannynick Wed 21-Sep-11 18:01:24

In the past you mentioned that you worked 14 hour days... this is the same family I presume, so dare I ask what your typical number of hours working is now?

I don't feel that you being pregnant has anything to do it.. They contracted you for specific hours and seem to be ignoring that contract. As a nanny you can't leave work until someone else takes over... if it were in another job, you may just walk out at the time you are meant to finish.

Even if it is only 10-15 minutes each day, that adds up over time and it may confuse children who are learning the time and thus know when to expect mum/dad home.

Gigondas Wed 21-Sep-11 21:24:59

I agree with what nick suggests and It poor they don't ask or let you know. My nanny had been staying later to cover my antenatal appt but I do warn her and get home early or let her have time to get in later next day. I also drew up contract with half an hour more than I need to cover the odd times when trains mucked up etc.

If they were doing this before you announced pregnancy sounds like they are inconsiderate and Its not directly pregnancy related

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 21-Sep-11 23:05:52

they are taking the piss as you allow them

either next time they are late, say that will be £x please or say i will jot that down in my overtime book and you can pay me at the end of the week/month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now