Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can I take a quick poll on pay fro rgeater London Au Pairs...

(11 Posts)
Strix Tue 20-Sep-11 13:06:00

So how much do you pay yours and how many hours does he/she work?

Migsy1 Tue 20-Sep-11 13:16:39

I'm not in London but pay £65 per week for 25 hours.

harrietthespook Tue 20-Sep-11 14:09:53

£70 for twenty hours.

Strix Tue 20-Sep-11 16:22:06

So, for 40 hours... around say £120 plus:
gym membership
smart phone
bus pass

Is realistic...

Just checking I'm not an ogre.

nikosmum2010 Tue 20-Sep-11 18:20:43

I think that's more than ok. I'd say its roughly about £2.60 per hour so for 40 hours minimum would be £104.

mranchovy Wed 21-Sep-11 01:42:27

No, you can't take the amount of money paid and divide by the number of hours because a major part of an AP's remuneration is her board and lodging. If that is worth £80 a week an au pair working 25 hours has a benefit worth £3.20 an hour (so if you pay him £70 he is on £6 an hour - the idea that all au pairs are badly paid is a myth). On the same basis, 40 hours should be worth (40 x £6 - £80) ie £160 so I'd have to really want that gym membership (although my use of it would have to be incidental grin) etc. to make it worth my while.

JinxyCat Wed 21-Sep-11 09:35:18

We're looking for an au pair now, and we want 25-30 hours per week and are offering £80-100 with a monthly travelcard and £10 credit on phone.

Hadn't thought about gym membership - is that 'normal' to offer as a perk?

ConstantlyCooking Wed 21-Sep-11 10:23:33

We are paying £70 a week plus £10 top up a month for a max of 25 hours.
We are in London but have older children so "on duty" is less arduous than chasing a toddler around. We are being flexible on the actual times worked as our AP is studying for a Masters. We don't pay gym membership or travel (unless child-related), but she can use our car. We also allow unlimited calls home (we have a good phone deal).
I agree with MrAnchovy about the myth that all au pairs are underpaid. The au pair board and lodging package means that the income is all disposable income. I felt quite put out when I had a reply from a prospective au pair stating that she could not live in London unless we paid £200 for a 25 hour week. I would love to have that much left over each week after mortgage, food, bills and work expenses!

ConstantlyCooking Wed 21-Sep-11 10:26:30

Re gym membership:
Unless you get a really good deal for adding an extra person, why not give the choice? some of our au pairs have joined a gym others prefer to run outdoors or prefer other activities.

harrietthespook Wed 21-Sep-11 10:30:07

From our relatively limited experience of aps (3.5) they seem to really enjoy their free time. I don't know if that's because they've all come off of demanding arbitur courses and need a break. What I'm not sure about with the package is that it's enough to agree to get them to tie up that much of their time per week. It might not be. It depends what sort of experience they want. Our APs have not wanted to go on to be nannies, maybe you will find someone who does want this experience in which case it's possibly worth it.

Strix Wed 21-Sep-11 20:50:50

I offer the gym membership partly because I only want an au pair who really wants a gym membership but also because it is needed to carry out her duties... take kids swimming / to play tennis / etc.

Apparently the neighborhood au pairs are all jealous of her smart phone. So there's a tip for others that a phon einvestment goes a long way to making an au pair happy. She has it on contract so comes wich quite a few minutes, data, internet access, etc.

I guess if no one has called me an ogre I'm doing ok.

PS Her room and board is worth a whole lot more than £80 per week. Her food and electricity alone are probably worth that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now