Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

cm and pickups..

(9 Posts)
stella1w Mon 19-Sep-11 22:44:26

I go back to work next Summer and so will need fulltime care for my one-year old and before/after school/holiday care for my four year old who will be starting reception.
I heard of a cm round the corner from me who does pickups from the local school and was considering seeing if she would take on my kids. Then today I saw how many pickups she had - I think about six ten year olds and I suddenly thought... would I want my one year old to deal with so many older children coming in around 4pm. It strikes me as a bit much for a little one to cope with. In principle I like the idea of mixed age group child care but one tiny one year old and six ten year olds seems wrong to me.
or is it just me who needs some peace and quiet

lesstalkmoreaction Mon 19-Sep-11 22:52:33

Why not just contact her and ask if you could visit her, you could then go earlier in the day but could also ask if you could visit sometime when the older children are there. Talk to her, ask her what she does. Some of the older ones may not be there for very long and your little one will probably love the fuss. She can only have 6 over 8's plus the younger ones and some may be her own children.

stella1w Mon 19-Sep-11 22:57:36

yes.. you are right.. I think I am just getting old.

hayleysd Tue 20-Sep-11 06:48:42

By next year some of the 10 year olds may have left as they may go to secondary school, or you may find she only has them 1 day a week or something, I would still go and visit and see what you think.

Rosiegirl Tue 20-Sep-11 07:41:02

Most childminders can have 6 under 8, 3 under 5. They can have as many over 8's as long as they don't impact on the care for the under 8's.

Go see her, you may find all the children get on really well and she is really good with them. Also remember some may leave quite soon after arrival, and she may not have them all every day. She also may not have them during the holidays. And as hayleysd said some may be going on to secondary school so may not be around for long.

minderjinx Tue 20-Sep-11 09:25:49

I'd check at least that they are all with her - not just tagging along on the walk home, perhaps friends of her own children. Some ten year olds do walk home alone but they do bunch up and chat.

minderjinx Tue 20-Sep-11 09:26:12

I'd check at least that they are all with her - not just tagging along on the walk home, perhaps friends of her own children. Some ten year olds do walk home alone but they do bunch up and chat.

minderjinx Tue 20-Sep-11 09:29:30

Sorry, what my second post meant to say was that if she does have loads of older ones, check her insurance. She may legally be able to have any number of over-8's but "normal" childminders' insurance only covers a total of up to twelve children under eighteen including the CM's own.

thebody Tue 20-Sep-11 15:15:49

agree all the above though i am a cm and have just one after schooler, been with me since 2 years old, so knows setting and me well. have to say i gave up the other after schoolers i had as just couldnt cope with the ages differences and attention littlies needed amongst the older ones and house was a bear garden,

HOWEVER thats my failing as i know fantastic cms who can manage to accommadate age mix very well and the kids are fantastically happy and have a ball..

definatly see her in her setting, or you cant judge her abilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now