Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what would you pay to part time nanny

(6 Posts)
ItLookHardToStartNewLife Mon 19-Sep-11 10:53:37

Hi, I need an advice
am looking to get part time OFSTED registered nanny.
monday, tuesday and friday. 7.30am-9am and in the afterenoon from3.30pm-6pm.
I live in Kent,DA14

What would you pay p/h....?

nannynick Mon 19-Sep-11 17:59:16

What about the time between? I presume your children are at school... what if school is closed late notice (happened in the Snow last year and early this year). Will you be covering things like children's illness, half-term, school holidays, things like that?

As a nanny I need to pay my mortgage... those hours wouldn't do it. So I wouldn't consider such a job as it would be next to impossible to find a job that fits in between the hours on those days. I therefore think that if you find someone who can do just those hours, then they may want a premium level of pay above what a nanny in the area may normally earn.

What happens at 9am and 3.30pm? I guess those are the times that children start/finish school. However it could be the time the nanny would get back to your home after doing the school run and the time they would need to leave your home to get to school. Have you factored in the travel to/from school?

blouseenthusiast Mon 19-Sep-11 18:05:05

It is hard to find someone to work thsoe hours but probably not impossible. They would have to be local and probably have something else they want to do with the rest of their time. I would have thought in region of £10 net p/h.

nannynick Mon 19-Sep-11 18:13:13

I was thinking around the £12-£13 gross mark, so similar to blouseenthusiast. Very important for part-time work is to agree a Gross salary, as the person may well have other income from other employment.

You will also need to factor in holiday entitlement... that will be easier if the job is all year round but if it's a term-time only job with all holiday having to be taken outside of term time, then you will need to be careful in working it out.

ItLookHardToStartNewLife Mon 19-Sep-11 20:16:51

thanks all for your feedback.
oh, I thgouht £8 p/h would be good for part time nanny, but I see because of the houre isn't so realistic.
I think childminder or live in au pair would sound much better.

nannynick: yes between 9am-3.30pm I wouldn't need nanny, but i would expect them to cover some school holidays. But now I see is not realistic to pay part time nanny £8p/h.

nannynick Mon 19-Sep-11 22:37:25

A childminder sounds a good thing to look at as they could do term-time care plus most of the school holidays.

You may find that it would suit a nanny with own child but it would depend on how much that nanny wanted to work and may work out well initially but once their child is older and possibly attending another school, may not work so well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now