Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Issues with CRB at childminders

(12 Posts)
ddrmum Sun 18-Sep-11 21:28:42

Hello all, sorry if this sounds a bit silly but I have concerns about an adult moved into my childminders home. She says it's a family member but there's something 'not quite right' about it. This person has been there for over a year (so I'm told) but I've not been shown a CRB & was made to feel silly for even bringing the subject up though was assured that Ofstad had been informed. Are there any circumstances where a CRB would NOT be required? Just want to check before I make a fool of myself. How could I find out if there been an issue with any CRB check should she not be willing to show it to me?Don't want to seem overprotective but........ hmm

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 21:43:31

I can't think of any. I thought a CRB check was required for anyone aged 16+ staying permanently in a childminders home.

I don't know if you have a right to see their CRB check. I would however wonder why someone would refuse to show it if they are asked to do so.

If having asked your childminder directly for confirmation that the person is cleared to be in the home of a childminder, and you are still not happy with their reply, then I suppose you will have to contact the regulator and ask if they can confirm if the person is known to them. Do you know this family members name? Are they involved at all in the care of children?

nbee84 Sun 18-Sep-11 21:43:51

I don't know the answer to this, but would say that you are wise to check it out. Every person in the house over the age of 18 needs to be CRB checked and there must be a record or some way of you checking who these people are rather than just the say so of your cm'er.

hayleysd Sun 18-Sep-11 21:51:59

Have you asked to see the crb, you dont have a right to automatically be shown paperwork but would be concerned if she refuses to show you. If a parent requested it i would have no problem with this.

I would maybe just notify if she refuses if you know their name and just see what happens.

hayleysd Sun 18-Sep-11 21:53:39

Also not only people living there can be crb checked, regular visitors can be too, I have 3 of my friends crb checked as they are regular visitors but I also got them registered as my assistant in case of emergencies.

ddrmum Sun 18-Sep-11 22:16:21

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm pretty sure that he isn't involved in childcare but is often there when my DH collects our DD at about 5pm. I did ask as I saw him leaving for work from the house one day last week, but she changed the subject & tbh I was shattered and wanted to go home!! I've just done a 'check' on Ofsteds website using both cm name & address and nothing comes up under either her name or addressconfused!!! This has increased my concerns given that it doesn't appear to be necessary to renew the CRB on a regular basis - I've only just found this out as I previously used nursery. it looks like a request under FoI. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My gut feeling is to leave as I've given it a couple of months.............

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 22:30:54

Ofsted's website won't show you information about who is living at the home.
All you can check on their website is that your childminder is registered with Ofsted - usually best to search by registration number (see your contract it's often on that) or by full Postcode.

CRB checks are not renewed on a regular basis by Ofsted as Ofsted feel that they are told if something happens.

CRB checks are not really worth that much anyway... they only check current criminal record. If someone has never been cautioned or charged with anything, then nothing will show. Occasionally Ofsted may be told additional information about someone, but it won't show up on the applicant copy of the check.

Don't think an FoI request would be suitable. I would have thought that if you called Ofsted and spoke to them, they could check to see if someone with that persons name is associated with the registration. Worth calling Ofsted before you do anything else.

If you are unhappy with the service being provided by your childminder (including level of security) then you can leave at any point by giving notice as per your contract. Refer to your contract for the length of notice you need to give to terminate the contract.

squinker45 Sun 18-Sep-11 22:35:11

You can't find childminders by name on that website, you have to put the Ofsted number in, have tried a few times to find myself and failed til i put in the number.

Sounds dodgy though, and gut feeling is important.

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 22:40:42

I can't find myself by name either. I can find myself by URN, and also Distance from full postcode (hint: top entry is the one at the postcode entered - though if several childcare providers live near each other, then they could have the same postcode).

ddrmum Sun 18-Sep-11 22:52:51

That may explain it as I've only looked under name, address and distance from home (there are loads under that so haven't checked them all) but not URN. Thanks for the advice as I may phone Ofsted just to put my mind at rest until I've found somewhere else for DD to go. TBH she was about 4th choice as our preferred choices didn't have vacancies & we'd recently moved into the area. Def going with the gut instinct - she's nice enough, but something just doesn't sit right iykwim.......Thanks again for your input& all the best xx

marcopront Mon 19-Sep-11 05:15:21

As far as I know anyone over 16 living in the house needs a CRB check. My former childminder applied for one for her son the day after he turned 16.

anewyear Mon 19-Sep-11 10:08:41

if you still concerned, ring Ofsted up, heres the number 0300 123 1231

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: