Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

becoming a registered childminder - how long and how much!?

(10 Posts)
brdgrl Sun 18-Sep-11 20:05:04

Hi,
am a SAHM who is considering starting the process to become a registered CM. If you have already been through the process, can you please share with me your experience? How much did you spend to 'start up'? How long did it take?
TIA.

HSMM Sun 18-Sep-11 20:42:46

You need to ask your Local Authority about typical costs in your area, as they change all the time and some Authorities have grants to hand out. It also depends how ready your house and resources are.

It took my DH 6 months to get through the process, with the CRB check taking the longest (just sitting in an in-tray for months).

brdgrl Sun 18-Sep-11 21:39:37

ok, thanks...that's helpful. That is a long wait! - I suspect my CRB might take even longer, as I'm foreign-born.
Didn't even think of grants; I will check that out.

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 22:05:07

CRB check past 5 years worth of addresses. So length of time the check takes can be dependent on the number of addresses that need checking. My last CRB check came back within 2 weeks... I've lived at the same place for 10+ years now.

CM registration can take a long time... 3 to 6 months is probably about average.

HSMM Sun 18-Sep-11 22:31:25

Yes. Crb checks can be much faster - but we have lived at the same address for 13 yrs and dh only ever had 1 previous address!

Find out from your local authority when the next course is, because that can also affect the timescale.

Pawan Mon 19-Sep-11 11:05:16

Definitely check with your local authority first - in my area (hampshire) there is a six month or so wait just to get on the pre-course session, before you even do the course. Course itself is ten sessions here (I think) with exam at end - so it took me nearly a year from start to finish. I've heard that there is now an online course you can do with NCMA - might be worth checking their website: www.ncma.org.uk/training.aspx as you could do this quicker - though of course you'd miss interaction with other new childminders, which is actually very helpful.

You could try and talk to childminders you know locally, as they'll know what is normal for your area.

In terms of costs, you may or may not have to pay for your course, you will probably need to pay for your first aid (usually 2 days course, around £70 or so when I last did it) and you'll need to pay for your registration with Ofsted. Plus you may need to make (safety) changes to your house, or buy new toys / equipment etc, so there are also those costs to take into account

brdgrl Tue 20-Sep-11 23:38:34

Wow, thanks. It is pretty discouraging. Was considering it as a way of solving a friend's childcare dilemma...Will have to do a serious cost-benefit analysis, I think!

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 21-Sep-11 00:24:45

and absolutely do a cost/benefit

the most money comes from under 5s as they are with you for the longest each day

you will usually be registered to care for 3 under 5s and 6 under 8s including your own DCs

of those 3 under 5s only one may be a baby under 12 months

so if you have 2 children of your own, under 5, you may only childmind one under 5, your earnings potential becomes seriously low until your child/ren come out of the under 5 bracket

CM is not an easy job, you need to be passionate, committed and the paperwork on start up is partic onerous

It can be incredibly rewarding and you can build relationships with families that continue to grow, deepen and develop for years

fraktious Wed 21-Sep-11 06:42:28

Could you nanny for your friend and register on the voluntary part? Less paperwork but you would still need the same course, a first aid cert and liability insurance so costs about the same but usually quicker.

The course is offered online by several companies if that helps.

Bonkerz Wed 21-Sep-11 06:56:13

I'm just in the process of registering. Here in Leicester u have to do two sessions on a pathway course. 12 sessions of an ICP course, ofsted cost £35, gp health declaration is £45, insurance is £44. First aid is £40 and I've spent this and not even sent the forms off yet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now