Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare between friends a quick question

(10 Posts)
oftengrumpy Sun 18-Sep-11 08:10:30

Hi I've got a quick question about childcare. A friend of mine is going to look after my DD in their own home twice a week (after school) for about an hour to an hour and a half. Do they need to be registered/ insured for this and does it change if I pay them for their time? Thank you.

WoofToYouTooLady Sun 18-Sep-11 08:24:39

how old is DD?

DaisySteiner Sun 18-Sep-11 08:30:34

If it's for less than 2 hours a day, she doesn't need to register. Can't answer whether she should be insured - most people will have public liability insurance through their house insurance but I guess this could potentially be invalidated by paying her.

oftengrumpy Sun 18-Sep-11 09:14:05

DD is 4 (5 in Nov).
Thanks Daisy that's helpful.

KatyMac Sun 18-Sep-11 09:21:52

If there is no pay or payment in kind or it's reciprocal or it's for less than 2 hrs a day then they don't need to be registered

But NannyNick is your expert on this

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 09:56:13

The legislation you need is:
The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) (Amendment) Order 2010
The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008

If they are ONLY caring for your DD and not any other children as well (excluding their own) then they would meet the condition in the 2008 legislation with regard to the 2 hour rule. However, if you were late collecting your DD or if school closed early, or if they cared for your DD before school as well as after school, then they could be in breach of the 2 hour rule. In such a situation, I suggest they go a playground, library, or other place different to the carers home.

So they don't need to be registered - so they probably won't be able to get specific childcare insurance (their home contents insurance would provide some cover for having a visitor to their home).

You could pay as it's less than 2 hours of care. However that makes it more a business arrangement than a friend helping a friend. So read the 2010 legislation and come up with some alternative that fits the Goods/Services exchange.

littleducks Sun 18-Sep-11 13:07:26

Nannynick- My dd is going to be going to my friends house for an hour before school two days a week, then I will have her children for 3 weeks while she is this technically illegal?

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 14:18:22

Are you being paid to care for them during those three weeks?

littleducks Sun 18-Sep-11 20:05:29

No, we are just friends, our daughters are friends.

She doesn't have any family in this country she could leave them with and didn't want to take them abroad as it is term time and they would miss to much school (two over eight, one over eight if that makes any difference at all)

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 20:47:13

Littleducks - sounds like it would fit with

"a child or children in the course of a friendship with the parents of that child or children; and the provision is not made in exchange for payment."
(from the 2010 dated link)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: