Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny Contract - First Timer

(12 Posts)
Bellaby Sat 17-Sep-11 16:56:46

I am trying to out together a contract for our new nanny. I am basing on a sample contract the agency sent to me

As I've not done this before I'm hoping people can give me some pointers about what I need to make sure i include as I'm not sure how good these template contracts are so am worried about making a mistake

The nanny will be doing a live in role

Many Thanks

nannynick Sat 17-Sep-11 17:45:20

Check it meets current minimums in terms of holiday entitlement and other employment related matters. Minimum holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks, which can include Bank/Public Holidays.

Look at having a probation period, so either of you can end the contract quickly in the initial couple of months should things not be working out.

Write things specifically in the Gross Misconduct section, so that they are aware what you consider would be an immediate sackable offence.

I don't do live-in so not sure about live-in specific things, though there are probably some things you would want to include about the use of your home outside of working hours, such as bringing people to stay for example.

rubyslippers Sat 17-Sep-11 18:04:31

Everything that nanny nick said

I was very specific about the nursery tasks I expected her to do as well so it was all upfront and clear

Also things like sick pay, toil, regular place of work, how many evenings baby sitting as part of the contract and what would be extra and paid accordingly

Dates of pay reviews as well

Bellaby Sat 17-Sep-11 21:33:35

Thank you both very much grin. I think the probation period is a very good idea!

I may well be back with some more specific questions as I work through it

nbee84 Sat 17-Sep-11 22:56:16

I would put with the clause about holiday entitlement a couple of points;

1) Allocation of holiday - usually the family choose half the holiday, the nanny the other half and then bank hols on top, so for 5.6 weeks it would be 2 weeks each + bank hols

2) How much notice is required for a request for holiday, usually 4 weeks.

RitaMorgan Sun 18-Sep-11 07:41:25

Make sure you put a gross wage in the contract, not net.

Karoleann Sun 18-Sep-11 15:35:21

Hi def wouldn't put in anything about a pay review or they'll be expecting one.
Make sure under the wage deductions you put a deduction will be made from salary if more holidays are taken than accrued.
Mine has soemthing about keeping personal mobile phone use to an absolute minimun when on duty and also a clause about not watching tv during the working day. (except for the times the children are watching).
There are quite a few sample contracts on the web, print them off and you can add the stuff you like.

Bellaby Sun 18-Sep-11 18:07:43

Thank you. Do I specify in the contract what the nanny will be paid for additional babysitting or is it sufficient to say 'babysitting at other times by mutual agreement'?

rubyslippers Sun 18-Sep-11 18:18:39

A pay review does not mean a pay rise! it means a review od salary after a certain amount of time ... We made it clear that it did not signify an automatic yearly rise

For clarity, I put in my nanny's contract that up to 2 night's per week babysitting was part of her contract and anything over and above would be by mutual agreement

nannynick Sun 18-Sep-11 20:51:50

Why include babysitting at all? If you will pay extra for babysitting, then it needs not be mentioned in the contract at all does it? If you are wanting a certain number of hours of babysitting included in the agreed salary, then you would want to specify that number of hours and what the situation is if you don't use all the hours in a particular time period - would you then want to add those hours to the following week, or would you forfeit those hours.

mranchovy Mon 19-Sep-11 12:09:42

Are you going to use a payroll agency? If so, start with their contract not the agency's. Bear in mind that an agency's interest in you and your nanny ends the day she starts work, which is when the contract starts so this is not their area of expertise.

Nick it is common for live-in nannies to be contracted for one or two nights babysitting a week (we have this, but only Monday-Thursday to ensure the nanny has a proper weekend). These babysitting hours are not like normal hours and don't carry forward if not used - babysitting is not really a big deal for a live-in nanny, all it means is being in the house where she lives while the kids are asleep, it just means she can only go out 5 nights a week instead of 7!

nannynick Mon 19-Sep-11 16:36:54

Which is why I put "If you will pay extra for babysitting" as for a live-in nanny a certain amount of babysitting is often included as part of the main salary, rather than for additional pay. I don't feel that any of the hours in a nannies contract should carry forward... use them or lose them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now