Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much of a deposit?

(5 Posts)
NickNacks Sat 17-Sep-11 10:59:19

I'm about to sign up a little one to start in a few months time. I've not really been in this situation before as they have all more or less started straight away.

Anyway I'd like to cover myself so that if the parents changed their mind the week before the contract was due to start, I wouldn't be left out of pocket.

Would a months fees be ok? As a parent would you see that as a reasonable amount? I'm not taking a retainer even though i have the space now but obviously i will be turning away any more enquiries. I am aware though that being on mat leave, money will be tight for them but i guess that's something they will have to factor in wherever they place the child, isn't it?

Would appreciate thoughts from both CM's and parents on this and what you expect/see as fair. Cheers.

mamamaisie Sat 17-Sep-11 14:46:09

I recently had this situation and I asked for a 4 week deposit, that can be used towards the last month's fees. The mum was absolutely fine with this and it seemed like she was expecting something along those lines. I got several enquiries soon after and turned them all away so felt justified. The little girl is starting on Mondaysmile

I did have another parent who was very shocked at the deposit so I said she could pay me a 2 week deposit instead of 4 weeks. Afterwards I regretted being so soft with her. It can be really hard sometimes!

HSMM Sat 17-Sep-11 14:57:08

I charge a 4 week deposit. No-one has ever minded.

I do regret not charging a retainer a couple of times though.

gardenpixies32 Sat 17-Sep-11 15:34:05

I had a parent come and meet me in March, she wanted childcare for September. I charged a 400 pound non refundable deposit. She was happy with that.

NickNacks Sat 17-Sep-11 19:16:37

Thank you all. I think I'll go with the first 4 weeks fees upfront - non refundable if they change their minds. We are looking at about 4 months of me holding the space for nothing but I don't mind. I have some ad-hoc work I can top up with if needs be. Plus all other spaces are filled so enough to be keeping me busy! I think they've also looked at nurseries so must be used to the 'norm' with this situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now