Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Paying nanny for overnight/weekend work

(12 Posts)
Sleepwhenidie Fri 16-Sep-11 18:43:48

our fantastic nanny has been with us for nearly two years and has recently taken care of the DC's a couple of times while DH and I have stayed away overnight. Payment has so far been a bit ad hoc, based roughly on what we pay her for babysitting in addition to her normal hours, but we would like to have a night away every month or two and so we need to formalise payment somehow. How do others do it? Do you pay a single lump sum for overnight? Do you pay a bit extra per hour, or per hour she is awake (sometimes she would have an unbroken nights sleep but often is disturbed at some point and/or us up very early, hence our desire for a night of undisturbed rest now and again! smile)

Any suggestions welcome, TIA.

Karoleann Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:40

Hi, we pay normal rate til bedtime 7.30pm. Babysitting rate (8) til 11 then £50 overnight fee. Then normal rate from when the children wake up - usually 6am.
I used to add a bit extra if the children were up in the night
So from 10am Saturday til 6pm Sunday it would be: £285.00

Sleepwhenidie Fri 16-Sep-11 21:41:25

Thanks Karoleann - really useful.

PurpleHat Fri 16-Sep-11 21:56:47

I do the odd bit of weekend work and I charge £150 per 24 hours smile

Sleepwhenidie Fri 16-Sep-11 22:26:56

So how would Karoleanns example of 10am Sat to 6pm Sun work out for you * purplehat*?

PurpleHat Sat 17-Sep-11 01:20:59

I would charge 1X 24 hour rate of £150 and then charge from 10am-6pm at my hourly rate of £15.
In total the cost would be £270, so pretty close to what Karoleann stated, really smile

nbee84 Sat 17-Sep-11 08:56:47

Purple - if your hourly (daytime) rate is £15ph, how is your 24 hour rate only £150?

I charge £200 per 24hrs then £15 an hr for any additional hrs also.

so would charge £320 for 10am sat til 6pm sunday but would prob agree a round figure of £300 for family I knew well or worked for on a regular basis.

PurpleHat Sun 18-Sep-11 17:13:47

I could charge more for 24 hours but it seems unfair on families who want some badly needed time away.
The same rates apply for the night duties I do-most (though not all) maternity nurses/proxy parents operate this way smile

magicOC Sun 18-Sep-11 18:07:02

I would charge more for families who are not my employers. £10ph 'till midnight then £50 flat fee overnight.

Have done a few times for my employer and I charge normal babysitting hours up until midnight then a flat fee of £30 for overnight. If it rolls over past my normal start time then I would charge £10ph from that time (unless of course it's a normal working day).

eurycantha Sun 18-Sep-11 19:35:14

I would also charge £150 for 24 hours and then £ 8per hour which is my normal hourly rate.I charge a flat fee of £40 for an overnight .

loopeylu Tue 20-Sep-11 15:27:37

We've got an ace nanny and had a similar predicament recently.

Assuming you're talking a weekend, we pay her 1.5x her normal rate (she is live in so I just take her weekly salary, divide by 5 and then times that by 1.5) during the day which is 7.30-7 and then pay an overnight rate of £55. So basically, she would get £165 net for 24 hours at the weekend. I think this is fair - especially given that maternity nurses who are most definitely up a lot at night get £150/24 hours.

I should add our children are good sleepers and lovely nanny is live-in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now