Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny share with nanny with own child - legal arrangements?

(7 Posts)
Jules125 Fri 16-Sep-11 11:36:53

Hi, I am considering this arrangement to look after my daughter who will be a year when I go back to work - partly because I've been contacted by several potential nannies who would like to bring their own child with them (which in principle I am happy to consider).

I am assuming that to do this I would probably need:

- public liability insurance
- landlord's permission?

but wondered if I'm right here or missing anything else?

If any experienced mums/ nannies could help advise then that would be great.

Thanks a lot

Strix Fri 16-Sep-11 13:20:00

Do you mean a share with the nanny, or you and another family are going to share a nanny who has her own child?

If the former, you would obviously pay her a lower rate, but would need to pay at least minimum wage (I think).

Yes to liability insurance. If she isn't going to live with you, I don't know why you would need your landlord's permission (assuming you rent)... but not really sure on this one.

I would think about the ages and demands and schedules of all children involved in a year or two before signing up to this. For example, if you still want this nanny to be around when children go to school, will this be feasibale (i.e. same school?). My advice is ti wind the clock forward to however long you wan tthis nanny to stay with you.

Jules125 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:35:39

I meant share with the nanny thanks. Yes, I was assuming I'd need some kind of liability insurance because she'd be bringing her own child with her into my household.

No, she isn't going to live with us, so perhaps the landlord issue is not relevant though I guess I ought to chedk the contract!

There is a nursery at work I was thinking I would use when she was older (2-3) so I'm not so worried about the continuity (though I would like it up to then of course).

fraktious Fri 16-Sep-11 17:43:33

You need employer's liability inane case as you'll be making your home her workplace.

A slightly reduced rare is perfectly normal and it can work very well, but you will want to interview carefully to make sure you and nanny are on the same page in terms of child-rearing.

nannynick Fri 16-Sep-11 21:29:53

Most (but not all) home Contents insurance policies include Employers Liability cover. So check your policy.

Jules125 Sat 17-Sep-11 10:30:05

thanks all - sounds like its "easier" than I thought it might have been

fraktious Sat 17-Sep-11 10:43:39

In terms of the two things you mention, yes grin

What many have trouble getting their heads around is the contract/tax side of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now